upgrading front discs

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mr alpine92
fill in the right answer: 15

upgrading front discs

Post by mr alpine92 »

Hi i wont to upgard my font Discs too 256mm,does the GOLF MK2 GTI BRAKE CALIPERS, DISCS work, is there anythink els i need to get, thanks
Alpine

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: upgrading font dish

Post by bengould »

I don't think the mk2 golf calipers fit. Mk2 Scirocco 16v or some early audi ones do, not sure of the exact model.
The mk2 discs do.
You are probably best replacing the flexi hoses and have some spare copper lines too as the old ones will probably break when you remove the union to the flexi pipes.

Another route is to use corsa/tigra calipers, carriers & flexi lines, shouldered bolts (M10 thread with 12mm shoulder) and mk2 golf 256mm discs.

Ben.

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

bengould wrote:I don't think the mk2 golf calipers fit. Mk2 Scirocco 16v or some early audi ones do, not sure of the exact model.
The mk2 discs do.
You are probably best replacing the flexi hoses and have some spare copper lines too as the old ones will probably break when you remove the union to the flexi pipes.

Another route is to use corsa/tigra calipers, carriers & flexi lines, shouldered bolts (M10 thread with 12mm shoulder) and mk2 golf 256mm discs.

Ben.
Hi ben thanks for the info,just got theres off ebay ,hope they right ? 2.0 256mm brake upgrade Nova Corsa Tigra Astra GTE GSi C20XE C20LET redtop 16v,it come with calipers, carriers, vented discs and pads,i seen some (M10 thread with 12mm shoulder)but not sure which be the right one,or can you give me a link to the right shouldred bolts,heres a picture of the calipers, carriers, vented discs and pads,
big thanks for any help,
chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bengould

Post by bengould »

They look exactly like mine, and from that description they are what you need. I will dig out a link to where I got my shouldered bolts from later today.

Ben.

bengould

Post by bengould »

I used these, with a shakeproof washer and a bit of threadlock.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3244/so ... ic-wds-615
Part No. 615-M10-12-25

Ben

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

mr alpine92 wrote:
bengould wrote:I don't think the mk2 golf calipers fit. Mk2 Scirocco 16v or some early audi ones do, not sure of the exact model.
The mk2 discs do.
You are probably best replacing the flexi hosesflexi hoses and have some spare copper lines too as the old ones will probably break when you remove the union to the flexi pipes.

Ben.
Hi ben thanks for the info,just got theres off ebay ,hope they right ? 2.0 256mm brake upgrade Nova Corsa Tigra Astra GTE GSi C20XE C20LET redtop 16v,it come with calipers, carriers, vented discs and pads,i seen some (M10 thread with 12mm shoulder)but not sure which be the right one,or can you give me a link to the right shouldred bolts,heres a picture of the calipers, carriers, vented discs and pads,
big thanks for any help,
chris
Ben thanks bro sound good to me,i wait for the link and were did you get your flexi hoses ? till later :pilot: chris

bengould

Post by bengould »

Think it was either off ebay or local GSF. I used the standard corsa rubber flexi. The end to the copper line is a standard fitting, just the caliper end is different.

Braided hoses would be better though if you can get just fronts instead of a full set.

Ben.

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

bengould wrote:Think it was either off ebay or local GSF. I used the standard corsa rubber flexi. The end to the copper line is a standard fitting, just the caliper end is different.

Braided hoses would be better though if you can get just fronts instead of a full set.

Ben.
cool ben iv just order the shoulder bolts,and yes i get some braided hoses full set as im doing back brakes too ;-) ,then i be looking in to what i can do with the engine next,then paint work,well thanks again ben,im sure i be back for more info ;-)

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

bengould wrote:Think it was either off ebay or local GSF. I used the standard corsa rubber flexi. The end to the copper line is a standard fitting, just the caliper end is different.

Ben.
Hi ben could you do me a favour and give me the length of your Braided hoses,i going to see if i can get some made up at the same size,with same fitting for the calipers, ;-) chris

bengould

Post by bengould »

I didn't use braided. Just standard corsa rubber ones, they are plenty long enough so I would assume corsa braided ones will also be fine.
Like these...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 54&alt=web

Ben.

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

bengould wrote:I didn't use braided. Just standard corsa rubber ones, they are plenty long enough so I would assume corsa braided ones will also be fine.
Like these...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 54&alt=web

Ben.
thanks ben,as soon as my calipers are here,i be ordering a set ;-) ,chris :pilot:

mr alpine92

Re: upgrading front discs

Post by mr alpine92 »

Just to update that all the work done know and if anyone wont to upgrade this what you can do,big thank to Ben,
_MG_1331.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Looking good. Can you still fit the standard 14" wheels?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

mark1gls wrote:Looking good. Can you still fit the standard 14" wheels?
yes but i need to put spacers on,iv gone for 10mm as back off the tyre rubbing on the coilover,just hoping 10mm be OK, :pilot: chris

james butler

Post by james butler »

that looks well nice how did you clean up the calipers so well?
i need to do mine next year

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!