engine mods---gt2

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
graeme

engine mods---gt2

Post by graeme »

just wondering what mods i can do to my gt2...don't want to go daft like i just want it to be sort of mk2 golf gti speed/power

any sensible idea's that aren't gonna cost me daft money
:good:

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: engine mods---gt2

Post by GTXTRA »

http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/faq/ ... y/engines/

a gti cam, a k&n air filter, a decent exhaust and a weber carb if your existing standard one is at all unreliable is what most folk do to the ex engined cars.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

What's a gti cam? What's a cam? I know I must sound stupid but I won't learn if I don't ask. Also I keep being told by mechanics that k&n air filters and similar equivalents are a waste of money. Roughly half to one extra horsepower, two if you're lucky. Anyone got any stats?

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

What's your budget?

A cam change is a good way to go on a carb engine, along with the distributor from an injection car, and get the cylinder head ported, if you can afford it - About £300 to get the head ported on standard valve sizes, and another £100 for the gaskets, bolts, oil, coolant you'll need to change the head.

The cams from the injection engines (a.k.a. GTI cam) are better than the carb ones, but a fast road aftermarket cam would be better still. You'd need to get the carb rejetted to suit, and ideally you want to do that with a weber carb, rather than a pierburg.

Switching to the 6-bolt type manifold and downpipe will give more power than the toilet bowl type, and a straight through exhaust will help too.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I've got a spare scala injection engine - how much of the £300 can that save me?

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

What's the current spec?

If it's a carb car, a whole injection engine can be fitted, and run on a carb. Just block up the injector holes with pennies and a smear of hylomar.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
FLOYDTHEBARBER

Post by FLOYDTHEBARBER »

2.0 GTI "98" Golf GTi / Seat Ibiza engine with gearbox - still in car. Can be heard running £250

Extremely quick and reliable engine

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Gearbox isn't needed, and that's way too much if it's a 2.0 8v engine. Post reported.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Anyone on here want to help me do it for cash? Or parts. Or beer. Or all 3! Mine's a 1990 1.8 8v gt2 carb. Scala is a 1989 8v injection. I am poor with mechanics and want to learn!

ImageImage
FLOYDTHEBARBER

Post by FLOYDTHEBARBER »

MikeH wrote:Gearbox isn't needed, and that's way too much if it's a 2.0 8v engine. Post reported.

Post reported ?

You are a bit of a dick arent ya ?

graeme

Post by graeme »

well i'm gettin a few bits done tomora i'll give you guys the full report some point this weekend :cool:

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

FLOYDTHEBARBER wrote:
MikeH wrote:Gearbox isn't needed, and that's way too much if it's a 2.0 8v engine. Post reported.

Post reported ?

You are a bit of a dick arent ya ?
I thought it was a bit "job's-worth"ish but didn't want to say anything in case he stopped being helpful to me!

ImageImage
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

You think so... well just so's we're clear, here's my perspective.

You jumped into a thread, offering an engine that isn't really all that suitable, with a gearbox he doesn't need. If he wanted a 2.0 bottom end, he could pick one up for 50 quid or less, so basically you're hijacking a thread to do yourself a favour.

If you've got something to sell, put an ad in the classifieds, and leave the name calling to the playground.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

ok fellas - keep it nice and all.

mike is right re sticking the later engine in the classified though.

back on topic.

uprated filter wont do any harm and the gti came idea is, well, the cheapest way of getting a little bit extra oopmh if on a budget.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

So just to clarify, a cam is what? How much would one cost roughly and how long to fit one? Sorry if I should know this but I don't.

ImageImage