Sorry, not a Scirocco question

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Sorry, not a Scirocco question

Post by Village Idiots »

Does anybody know if modern engines have a sensor which would switch the engine to limp mode if desperately in need of an oil change?

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Sorry, not a Scirocco question

Post by mr.brown »

Oil level sensor but I've not heard of an oil quality sensor. That said, some engines - specifically the 1.6 Ford/Peugeot/Citroen engine from 06 onwards had a very fine tolerance for oil quality and would destroy the turbo and then the engine. First symptoms were going into limp mode when the turbo started to disintegrate - presumably the ECU knew there was some kind of issue.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

If your car is in desperate need of an oil change I would change the oil and see if it make any difference, regular oil changes is important to any engine.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jack92
Site Admin
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jack92 »

I was driving a new Astra recently and it put itself into limp mode as it needed a service, once the service indicator was reset it was fine. So could also be software related in your case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk