Upgraded Throttle Body.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
G Beats
fill in the right answer: 10

Upgraded Throttle Body.

Post by G Beats »

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Re: Upgraded Throttle Body.

Post by steve bain »

from memory ( 10 years) when i did this it was like the third one down. it was off an audi. you need to make sure it has the pipe on it as i bought one which didnt off a 16v i think. the third one down has the pipe shown. hopefully somone who knows will come along soon!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

actually it doesnt look quite right now i look at it again. if i remember next time i am at my car i will take a picture for you.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

steve bain wrote:actually it doesnt look quite right now i look at it again. if i remember next time i am at my car i will take a picture for you.

Hello Steve great I would more then appreciate if you could please and thanks so much for your help. :buddy:

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

This TB is the closest to what your looking for. You can strip the linkage from the original TB and refit to the Audi item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262392092218? ... EBIDX%3AIT

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Brownrocc resto thread... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070996
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

dingorocco wrote:This TB is the closest to what your looking for. You can strip the linkage from the original TB and refit to the Audi item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262392092218? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thank you very much does it need or is there anything missing like part from the smaller throttle body circle end out of the side of this Throttle Body like a brass part or a tube or does our mechanics take it off the throttle body which is on Sally ?

dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

If your running the standard distributor then it will need the vacuum advance port near the idle adjustment screw. When it stops raining here I will try get you a pic ( and part number ) of some of the bodies I have...

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

dingorocco wrote:If your running the standard distributor then it will need the vacuum advance port near the idle adjustment screw. When it stops raining here I will try get you a pic ( and part number ) of some of the bodies I have...
Ok many thanks that would be great.

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

dingorocco wrote:If your running the standard distributor then it will need the vacuum advance port near the idle adjustment screw. When it stops raining here I will try get you a pic ( and part number ) of some of the bodies I have...
No I'am running the standard distributor so we will need the vacuum advance port near the idle adjustment screw.

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

Think i used an Audi 80 5 cylinder one many year's back. The inlet needs to be filed to suit throttle body. Some 16v throttle bodys do have the vacume pipe on the rear again there a audi item, early type 90s

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

monzajake wrote:Think i used an Audi 80 5 cylinder one many year's back. The inlet needs to be filed to suit throttle body. Some 16v throttle bodys do have the vacume pipe on the rear again there a audi item, early type 90s

This the throttle body I'am looking to buy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262392092218? ... Tags=bu=bu I have tried to share the info with the seller as I would like to be 100 pecent sure that it is going to fit before I buy after some adjutments are made of course.I have not herd back from the seller saying that they sale a lot of these since I sent the ebay shop this link http://www.scirocco.org/tech/mk2/5000tb/5000tb.html#fox

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I've not done this mod or up on throttle bodies but does the number on the flap mean the size?
As the one in the link above has the same No.14 on the flap and looks the same size as my standard DX engine throttle?
My throttle body after a good clean.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

The number on the flaps (butterflies) is the bore of the throttle body.
I assume the numbers on this on are greater than the standard one on your DX ?
when you fit it to the inlet open up the butterflies and your see a ridge around the bore holes , as manifold is to small. This needs to be flied out.

dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

Managed to wade thru the shed junk....
Small vac port for running a vaccy advance dizzy..

Ports left undrilled, some of the other bodies had a breather port about 14 mm drilled. Some are threaded and I just screw in a sealing plug ( tapered thread)

Unsure if there is any coding to these numbers...

Original bores are 35/44 larger body goes to 35/52. Velocity tuning in the states modded bodies to 56 mm but pretty sure that business is now gone.
You likely will need to change some of the linkage for the throttle cable and can dump the switches if not needed.
Other bit of the mod is to locate an adapter or have the flange on the manifold welded so there is a bit of meat between the bigger bore and edge of manifold and the bypass port for the idle adjustment, they both run with very little sealing area to the outside of the manifold ( potential air leak later down the track ) Have to take a snap of the modded manifold on Valeries cabrio..