16V Front Brake Conversion

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmo
fill in the right answer: 10

16V Front Brake Conversion

Post by timmo »

Hey people,

I've got a full set of mk2 golf 16v brakes (disks) which I want to service and put on the rocco. Before I start though, I'm interested in knowing if I will have to change my driveshafts from 80mm to 100mm ones.
The 16v 'knuckle' which I would replace at the same time (because it has the caliper mount on it) fitted into the 16v driveshafts. So I'm wondering if they will ONLY fit the 100mm versions? Does this make sense?
Here is a picture of a knuckle in case I didn't describe it well. The knuckle is No.6.

Does anyone know? Would be helpful before I end up having a car without brakes for a month! :)

Thanks!

1987 GTX Smirocco

Nate

Re: 16V Front Brake Conversion

Post by Nate »

without meaning to urinate on your bonfire, i was under the impression that mk2 golf hub carriers wouldn't fit a rocco, hence the adaptor plates people use to fit different calipers. if nothing else, the method of attaching the carrier to the strut is very different in that picture to what is on a rocco

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
vr_powered

Post by vr_powered »

Nate's right mk2 golf hubs wont fit (properly) the scirocco, track is wider, steering arm position lower and the section you attach the front struts too is thicker so your suspension wont bolt up, if you want to go for 16v brakes then best finding 16v scirocco (or certain audi carriers are the same but are just as rare) brake caliper carriers either from the states or from germany its a nice setup which makes a big improvement just get a bit more pedal travel imo

timmo

Post by timmo »

aw poo! oh well, looks like some time searching for parts will be needed. Cheers guys! :)

1987 GTX Smirocco