Fan is not kicking in

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mk2moo

Fan is not kicking in

Post by mk2moo »

Alright,

I've got a small problem, my fan is not kicking in and so its hard for me to be in traffic. What could be causing this problem? I've checked connections and they all seem ok, i dont know what else to do really as i havent ever had this problem.

Any help is very much appreciated,

Liam

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Fan is not kicking in

Post by ianaudia4 »

Could be the sensor, it is on the radiator, should kick in at approx 93 degrees. GSF sell them for about a tenner.
Check the fuse first though, could be something simple like that!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Cheers for the reply, would you happen to know what number fue it i a i dont have a haynes manual for a rocco. Yeah its goin to 100 and not kicking in, where abouts shoould the sensor be aswell. Thank you again.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Radiator fan is number 1 fuse from left to right and it should be 30 amp.
The sensor is on the right of the radiator as you are looking at it, approx 2/3 of the way down.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

thank you very much for the info, will be first thing i get done in the morning. Hate having to keep an eye on the temp guage when i see traffic.

MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

If it's not the fuse, try bridging the outer contacts on the thermostatic fan switch (thickish piece of wire, two bare ends or male spade connectors), and see if the fan runs then with the ignition on. The motors can sometimes seize, but they normally get noisy for a good while beforehand. It's more likely to be the switch on the bottom of the rad.

Also, the dash gauges aren't super-accurate, but if you get sat in traffic and it's up around 3/4 on the temp gauge, I'd definitely expect the fan to kick in when you stop and switch off.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Yeah it doesnt kick in, i was in tesco car park earlier after a good drive and bit of traffic to check if it will come on. Played around with few connectors but not tried bridging it yet or the fuses. Goiing to get onto it tomorrow as its just annoying. cheers for the info guys.

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Just as a wee side note, you should have a list of fuse numbers on the tray beside the fuse box in the passengers footwell.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

To be honest i copletely forgot that there is a list of fuse numbers haha. I saw it the other day aswell. Hopefully get this nipped in the bud tomorrow.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

If you are changing the sensor in the radiator, make sure that you get a new sealing washer as well.

mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

bump back up.

Right my mate broke my radiator so got another of Nathe(aka Snathe). However the fan is not working again. It does work when done via a wire, however it wont come on when plugged onto the temp sensor. Could it be the temp sensor? what else should check?

Cheers,

Liam

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

It does work when done via a wire.
Sounds as if it is the sensor if it is working with a wire.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

yeah thats what i thought, I just thought id get a second opinion. Will try this tomorrow and hopefully it will work. Will update tomorrow evening :)

Nate

Post by Nate »

MikeH wrote:If it's not the fuse, try bridging the outer contacts on the thermostatic fan switch (thickish piece of wire, two bare ends or male spade connectors), and see if the fan runs then with the ignition on.
should work with the ignition off too - the fans quite often run on after switching the engine off

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

Yeah it runs with ignition on and off. Going to change temp sensor today and hopefully that will sort it.

Liam