Rear camber shims

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Rear camber shims

Post by monzajake »

So has / or anybody using these ? If so could you give me abit more of an insight to if there any good..

Ta muchly

Jay4424
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rear camber shims

Post by Jay4424 »

Your rear beam is a fixed thing, the mounting surfaces for the stub axils should have been machined parrell to each other and perpendicular to the mounting holes. Hw can this go wrong?!?

Or are you trying to ad camber to give a different look and screw you tires at the same time?!?

..sorry don't quite understand the question obviously, what is your prob/are you trying to achieve?

Jay.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
monzajake

Post by monzajake »

Seen these rear camber shims on ebay, intrested to know the score tbh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eibach-Rear-Cambe ... 4150cdf99f

Or are they a waste of time ?

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

I'd have thought that, unless it's for the look... the camber would need to be adjusted on the front rather than rear (in answer to Jay's query) however, I know one of my mini's had negative camber on both axles due to the fact the guy used it for hill sprints (why I don't know, a pig on weed woulda been faster!!) The negative camber allowed him to corner faster, and sure enough it cornered like a demon almost like it was on rails. Straight line though, it wandered around like a bimbling hippo.

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Having a rummage around and came across this which may explain some of your questions.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=88044.0
Hope this helps.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

When i had a place in Preston do the full camber/tracking thing they added some shims to the rear as the camber wasn't as it should be. :yup:

i can only assume that as the car is pretty old wear and tear create a difference from standard and as the rear is not adjustable they do it with shims? :dunno:

Danny
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

From what I have read those shim things work pretty well buddy.. simple things really, you can also achieve the same result with 2 washers put on bottom rear hub bolts - not saying its safe method of going about it, but it does the same job. A friend did this and ran the car with no problems for about 2yrs.

Are you adding the negative camber for more arch clearance or for looks? As said above it'll cause the inner edge of your tyre to wear out faster.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Do it propper tho!

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
monzajake

Post by monzajake »

Ahright i see.
Not really interested in do it myself, more of an insight of "whats it all about then"

Nate

Post by Nate »

Jay4424 wrote:Your rear beam is a fixed thing, the mounting surfaces for the stub axils should have been machined parrell to each other and perpendicular to the mounting holes. Hw can this go wrong?!?
usually to compensate for the axle not being bolted on perfectly straight, or correct slight bending of suspension components. you'd be surprised how far out some cars are.

claire had her black rocco done (camber and tracking) with shims by protyre. apparently made a huge difference to the handling, but i never got to drive it so can't confirm

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

monzajake Have a look on here, I think the back wheels may just have a wee bit of camber on them.

Re: Show us your Mk2 - picture thread.......

Postby Hovis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 pm
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.