Cleaning a spoiler

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Joe87
fill in the right answer: 10

Cleaning a spoiler

Post by Joe87 »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to clean up a spoiler - mine is a kind of faded grey colour and has mold or something growing on it...and I'd like it to be black with no mold on it :) It seems to be made from a kind of rubbery spongy foamy type material which appears to be porous so I'm worried about dissolving it by accident or something...someone mentioned on another thread using brake or vinyl cleaner, does this work ok? Anything else which works well?
Cheers.

1987 GTX
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Cleaning a spoiler

Post by ianaudia4 »

Joe,

When I got my Storm a few months back all the black trim had gone grey!

I got some stuff called "Black in a flash", made by Turtle Wax. Spot on, did bumpers, spoiler and the mirrors.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Carplan Black Trim Wax, bout £4 from Halfords. The spoiler soaks it up and looks lovely after some elbow grease :ok:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Nate

Post by Nate »

autosmart vinyl gel or autoglym bumper care

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
SCOTMCDOT

Post by SCOTMCDOT »

In my experience the back to black does not work for that long and never looks brilliant, although others may have had better experiences than me.

I am doing my bumpers soon as they just look rubbish at the mo even with several coats of back to black. The only thing i am not sure of is with the consistancy of the spolier whether this will have any effect on how you paint it.

However i am sure you can paint it as long as you clean it and prime it with plastic primer first although i would be interested inwhat other people thought (especially before i paint my bumpers).

Reverend Frog

Post by Reverend Frog »

Autoglym Bumper Care every time. works a treat, is semi-permament, and gives you that nifty water-beading effect when it's rained on.

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
markh

Post by markh »

Risocco wrote:Carplan Black Trim Wax, bout £4 from Halfords. The spoiler soaks it up and looks lovely after some elbow grease :ok:

Alex

Good call Alex, i always use this on my spoiler and bumpers. One coat lasts for months . :good:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
jimmyconway

Post by jimmyconway »

Heat gun or a hair dryer.

It's gonna be a good summer.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Heat gun or a hair dryer
Beat me too it ! been told heat gun is the best for bumpers etc,have yet to try this myself,as i lent out my heat gun,and have not seen it since :twisted:

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
Reverend Frog

Post by Reverend Frog »

actually yes, that is the best idea. aiming a heat gun at faded bumpers makes it seem like you are actually spray painting them, the difference is amazing

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
lenny125

Post by lenny125 »

I always use linseed oil, works really well to get bumpers and ect nice and black again. It lasts for a long time and Once I have done that I just spary over the top with back to black.