Converting old head-units for Aux-in

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Converting old head-units for Aux-in

Post by the edmundator »

I know it can be done, but I'm struggling to find a company that adapts old head-units to be able to take an aux-in (i.e. from an iPod). I'd quite like to keep the Blaupunkt Paris radio cassette that's in my GTi, but I don't have any strong desire to start listening to tapes again (although there was much more artistry involved in a C90 mix tape than an iTunes playlist).

Anyone know of a company that could help me out?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Junglist

Re: Converting old head-units for Aux-in

Post by Junglist »

i could probably do it for you. Where would you want the input socket? Coming out on a lead from under the head unit in the little cubby hole or coming out of the cassette slot? Or would you want it mounted on a solid surface in place of the cassette slot?

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
halkyndriver

Post by halkyndriver »

Or you could use a tape adapter such as this from E-Bay at £1.99

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

The tape adapters won't work in this kind of cassette player, because the tapes go in on the longer side. The company I was after have readvertised in this month's practical classics, so I'll give them a call.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
halkyndriver

Post by halkyndriver »

It should do, on the tape adapter I have you just unscrew the case and put the wire to come out of the side and not the end. I have both types of tape player and it seems to work ok

jbo

Post by jbo »

Even easie in an fm modulator. Either a hardwired inline one or a small one tar runs on batteries.

|basically it takes either line level input and then transmits the signal on an fm frequency which you just tune your headunit into. It saves on wiring and the audio quality is much much better than a tape adapter. Have a search on ebay, you can get them for literally a fiver!

Jason

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

jbo wrote:Even easie in an fm modulator. Either a hardwired inline one or a small one tar runs on batteries.

|basically it takes either line level input and then transmits the signal on an fm frequency which you just tune your headunit into. It saves on wiring and the audio quality is much much better than a tape adapter. Have a search on ebay, you can get them for literally a fiver!

Jason
Yes, I've used one of these before, and I got fed-up with the interference from radio stations; unless you live in the middle of nowhere, FM is pretty full.

I've managed to find the company that does hard-wired mp3 player inputs. They have two options: 1) standard 3.5mm jack, or 2) dedicated iPod/iPhone jack which will charge as well as play from the unit. I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but it's basically no more expensive than buying a new head-unit with mp3 compatibility (substantially cheaper than some of the more expensive ones). I will report back when I've made use of their services.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Or i could have done it for you but never mind. You go and spend your money. :dunno:

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage