A couple of issues im haveing

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
wiredsubzero
fill in the right answer: 10

A couple of issues im haveing

Post by wiredsubzero »

Hey

I have a 1982 1.6 GL and has this odd buzzing sound from the passenger side when I go above 50 im not really sure what it is and when im in traffic it seems to sit on the thin white line at the end of the gauge should i be alarmed as this seems quite hot or is it just normal to sit at that temp in traffic ? cheers for the any help in advance :hugegrin:

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: A couple of issues im haveing

Post by ianaudia4 »

Drop the coolant, flush the system, fit a new thermostat and refill with new coolant, no more than a £20 job mate.
The strange noise could be anything, I think we all have a strange noise or two with these old girls!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

There is a buzzer that sounds when oil pressure (or level) is low, but it's usually quite loud.

I'm not sure if there's a similar one for the water temperature, but having driven 60 miles with the heater warning light flashing and no buzzer in the GTL, I'd suggest not.

I used to have an annoying buzzing noise to my left, which I worked out was the handbrake release button rattling; this could be stopped by rotating the button slightly. It could be something as simple as this.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

On a similar feeel to mr ed drive round and get a passenger to hold stuff. Sounds mental but works a treat

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
wiredsubzero

Post by wiredsubzero »

cheers for the advice fella's im gonna put some new coolant and thermo in on the weekend if i get a chance :hugegrin: im not realy sure what the noise is i just went out to try and figure out what the sound is it kinda sounds like its comeing from the scutle and gets louder the faster you go you dont hear it atal below about 30 its once you get to about 50/70 and its realy quite loud i think the only prob is when you get someone to help its a very try that no i dont mean that the other thing and could cause a few near misses trying to point out things :hehe:

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Make sure your cooling fan is kicking in when it should.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
wiredsubzero

Post by wiredsubzero »

i have put the fan on a switch were the speeker biast hole is just till i get a new thermo its seems to be okay at the mo but havent been in any trafic recently

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

I had a similar issue with mine.. flushed the coolant out (it was VERY orange and gungy) and replaced the rad (thermo switch??) thing.. found at the bottomt right if your looking at the engine from the front. £9 from GSF, two seconds to fit and i've finally got a fan again!

Nate

Post by Nate »

check that the wheelarch liners and the flimsy plastic tray at the bottom of the screen under the bonnet are both secure. could be something like this vibrating in the wind

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
wiredsubzero

Post by wiredsubzero »

the temp is okay at the mo but it is useing abit of water but there is no mayo so i suspect its a leaking hose somewere as there is no water marks around the pump i havent realy had a chance to do much else as the rubber hanger for the rear box snaped and the back box fell off (i dont supose the police would have a issue with the loudness ? i will probebly get a new hanger in a couple of weeks ) :hehe: so i cant hear the sound that was buggin me before

BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

I had that buzzing issue on my 83' 1.6 GL years ago and it was the oil level low

1.8 GTS, GTi Head ported & polished,fast road cam,9 bar pump, 2.0 throttle body,4-2-1 Manifold,Jetex 3" Exhaust,TSW Pipercross airbox,285mm Brakes & Rear discs.
Neillyboy

Post by Neillyboy »

This sound daft but when you hear the buzzing hold the grip on your handbrake. I had a similiar issue for a while. A long shot but worth a try.