A20 GTX - BRM152 2-litre GTX - long term affair

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

A20 GTX - BRM152 2-litre GTX - long term affair

Post by GTXTRA »

Right, the original 'Beast' - thought I'd start again on new forum with the car that can be blamed for a lot of things........

1987 Scirocco GTX in Helios bought June 1989 from Bell and Colvill of Caterham to replace an '82 CL I had owned since Aug 1985.
During 1990-1992 a steady flow of mods and upgrades to end up with the following spec.

BRM 152 (BHP) 2-Litre 8v- 1984cc, Audi crank, Schrick cam, Mahle pistons, uprated clutch,fully gasflowed, balanced etc etc., Neuspeed TB, K&N Filter, Sebring exhaust. Rolling roaded twice in period- showed 136-138 bhp at the wheels on BRM rollers which were generally assumed to have a 15% correctional. Happy GTXTRA.
16v front brakes, BRM38 Servo conversion, Neuspeed shortshift, Bilstein Sports kit, Autotech roll bars and top/bottom 'z' front stress bars, VDO Gauges in place of ashtray, revised badging, BBS RA 6 x 15' bought new from GTI Engineering at Inters 1990, sold the P Wheels in the car park as I fitted the new rims.
Ridiculous stereo system.
Featured in VW Audi car mag in October 1990.
A20 GTX plate bought in '92 from DVLA for £125.

Sold to a mate in September 1996 when I went on my first overseas stint and bought back in November 1998 when I had been back for a while and he was off to follow the cricket.

Nothing much happened to the car in this period; when I was living in Sydney late 99-March 04 a neighbour gave it a run every other week for me and I used it on Annual trips back to Blighty.

March 05, returned to BRM for a service, much needed, and started noticing PVW/Golf +............hmmmm......i was dragged back into this Dub thing after giving up on Inters after 1994........however just six days after a new downpipe and filler neck, smoked indies disaster struck on 31 May 05....
Before the trip back from Formby-

About 5 hours later...

the lhd lorry side swipe blight had claimed another victim....sister and niece in car with me - we were lucky to escaped serious injury, police couldnt believe we were still in one piece. Tough old Mk2 Roccos!

got the wreck back and stripped it, intended to swap all the bits into the silver scala i picked up three weeks after the accident but decided that was too nice a car to mess with.

picked this gtx up from ebay instead.

and swapped the brm car bits over to end up with this by sept 2005-

after assigning my A20 GTX plate to the new car around Xmas '05 I then sorted some clear indicators, fitted the old cars gtx grille with the mudflap model badge and replaced the rear badges with the set i had originally used on the old car - the two piece Scirocco/GTX badge as fitted to the 16v only and a Karmann badge as per cabrio front wings.

Summer 2006 had seen the RA's replaced as a stop gap with some MIM alloys that the valver had been on when i got that car. Also tried the non fog lamps look on a Rocco for the first time.

around this time also fitted some Corrado seats (fronts only).

A huge improvement.
Early 2007 swapped drivers door and sunroof panel for ones from old car - they were in much better nick - and also had the electric windows fitted - once again a salvage job from the wreck.
Happily got some G60 Steels from Brown the Reaper at this time too.
Which brings us to the Beast in 2008.

Replacement bonnet, new front carpet courtesy of Darren and NOS dashboard fitted soon after these shots - showroom style!- with clocks from original engine.

Still to come -
Full respray
possibly CL grille spats
Leather - retrim of seats, door card inserts and rear parcel shelf, colour tba
New rooflining
Wheels..................still not sure what will be the final choice on this one.......

Completion? Targeting 2009 to coincide with 20th anniversary of original cars purchase.
Hopefully......

August 2008-

In a week that the car got slightly dented by local scumbags decided Beast needed a treat and did a deal with Mr B for his Castellets.........

cheers Sean!

April 2009 update - one of the few times the Beast had a proper wash today, still not totally sure re the Castellets on this one, maybe when it gets painted they will go better, might swap tyres with the GTL, that has 195/50s whereas the 195/45s on the BRM look a little lost under the arches I think. Still think the car looked at it's best on the G60 steels. 16v might suit the Castellets. dunno.

Pretty much trouble free this one, had to swap a fuel pump relay the other day in traffic, always carry a spare!, and the winter is a struggle to keep the batteries alive across the fleet too. Happy this one is now garaged; MUST get this painted before I start on the Mk1!!!! :swoon:

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Re: A20 GTX - Where it all began

Post by GTXTRA »

But at the end of the day this is the most important part of the Beast - it's Heart.

18 years on this is still my favourite and by far the most entertaining to drive. Tunnels are a particular joy......RWOAAAAAAAAAR!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Had Autoglass eventually turn up today to repair a stone chip on the pretty manky windscreen on this one. They managed to make the crack surrounding the chip bigger and i therefore will be getting a new screen from them next week, just got to pay the £40 excess. I was going to put one of my spare NOS screens onto this one when it eventually gets painted but looks like my stockpile will remain intact.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

SORN since 1 June and looking even more sorry for itself today............

got to sort that stance out...................

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

REALLY missing driving this one but after a lot of thought (even drafted out a for sale advert.........) decided to take the leap and get rid of the bodykit.

also fitted a new rear bumper - it's another bit of the former Throbbemobile in fact.

and pleasingly NOT too bad underneath the kit - bit of rustproofing applied to the crusty bits.

arches pretty sound, near side rear shows evidence of previous not so thorough bodywork repar, two small dents.

front panel good ok, rear a bit scabby - nothing that can't be repaired.

sloppy jacking tactics apparent on front of sills with kit off.

nearside door and rear ns sill

So, going to go for a non kit look with this - not aware of any helios cars without the kit and even though i am above all a GTX fan have got the black car to keep the 'XTRA spirit alive!

Reason? just got to like the look of the GTL slammed on the Castellets and reckon on a similar 'is it factory or is it modded?' look for this with a nice period but not too wide set of wheels.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Bit more rustproofing and removal of bodykit kit gunk in advance of winter and decided to fit these today.

Acquired off ebay, tricky to come by ATS 6 x 15 cups that previous owner had self restored. HAD been saving them for the Mk1; if the other set of 70's delights rims dont work on that car then these will go on the '81.
In the meantime, add some lovely new Toyo Proxes T1R's and the space saver look for the BRM is banished for good!

Not sure if I will stick with the black/silver look for them longterm on either this or the Mk1 if they get switch across but happy enough for now and BRM now safely garaged up for winter too.

Rocco Ben

Post by Rocco Ben »

very nice work :D
does the colour match up? (if you polish it nicely)
or will it need spraying?

cheers
Ben

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Rocco Ben wrote:very nice work :D
does the colour match up? (if you polish it nicely)
or will it need spraying?

cheers
Ben
yes - where original the paint matches . The car has had partial and not very good paint jobs under pre-2005 ownership and is destined for a complete respray when i raise the funds, just want to do as much of the prep work/clean up as possible and didnt want send it to painter without REALLY knowing the state of the arches.

bodykit very easy to remove, haynes manual pleasantly accurate re the attachment points.

oh - and this will be lower too eventually with another set of AP coilies.

Rocco Ben

Post by Rocco Ben »

exellent!! :D
can't wait to see her finished :ok:

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

bit more tlc today, paid the price for a rushed door car re-attachment back in the summer with a wet rear passenger footwell after leaving car uncovered during recent rain.

building up to an early Jan MOT and possibly another wheel swap having spied a very nice set of old school loveliness in a Notts workshop recently............Cups destined for the Mk1.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

MOT pass today, :dance: , one advisory on a rear bearing adjustment.

one of the reversing lights stopped working as it came off ramp, :dunno: , went to change bulb at home and it looks like the reverse light lense on rear cluster has taken a thump somewhere allowing dampness into bulb holder.

This means the 'lifetime gt'ee' Bilstein suspension has hit it's 20th birthday with no sign of any leaks/failures over 72k miles and a lot of sitting around from time to time. Brakes were particuarly strong the tester said - again the BRM hardware was installed in Jan 1990 onto original car.

:yahoo:

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

happiness is a set of G60's................

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Neer been one for steel wheels in general... but I do really like those G60's.

I take it by their very nature they will fit 280mm calipers under them?

johnnyfication

Post by johnnyfication »

Have to say it does look better on the g60's than the ATS'. :good:

Funky Diver - yes 280's will fit under these wheels

'93 Corrado 2.0 16v - Gone
'95 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Storm
'09 Scirocco GT 2.0tsi - Gone
'12 Polo Bluemotion - Gone
'10 BMW 320D touring M sport
Funky Diver