Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco) UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
GT Matt
fill in the right answer: 15

Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco) UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP

Post by GT Matt »

Hi all.

As promised, this thread is going to follow the restoration/recommisioning of my Scirocco 1.8GT by the learners I teach in the Motor Vehicle dept at Derby College.

It's a great opportunity for them to learn some excellent new skills as well as learn some 'old skool' mechanics.

The car arrived with us 2 weeks ago and sits in its own little space in the workshop now covered in a silver car cover (a precaution after some little tinker decided to key down the side of two of the college workshop cars!)

The car is as follows: 1989 Scirocco 1.8GT finished in Sapphire Blue Met (LY5V) and has covered a mere 90000 miles. It also has full VW service history, 2 keys and is really really clean. It has a couple of scabs in the drivers door but that's about it. It hasn't been on the road since Jan 2008 and hasn't really been run since then either. Bulkhead intact, clutch nice and light but a dodgy looking filler neck..............

The plan is to recommision the vehicle to a good roadworthy state with a new MOT. Then we would like to get it to a show next Spring -Stamford? (but made need a little help with this if car not taxed or insured by then) as the learners would also like to see it there as many are becoming old VW fans if not Scirocco fans themselves.

Once it's finished, I will more than likely have to then find it a new owner who will have to promise to look after and enjoy it as their pride and joy!

Here are the pre-work pictures. Where I can, I will update with new pictures and info of what we/they are doing. Progress may be a little slow on occasions as I am funding this totally out of my own pocket!

Hope you enjoy the thread..................................................................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GT Matt on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
ianaudia4

Re: Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco)

Post by ianaudia4 »

Good luck with the project, I'm sure the youngsters will be really keen to get it completed.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
GT Matt

Re: Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco) - UPDATED 8/10/09

Post by GT Matt »

Hi again - here's an update with Project DCS.

Having jacked up the car and mounting it on axle stands, the first task was to inspect the filler neck (as you do!).

Low and behold, a few strokes of the wire brush later, we reached the inside of the filler neck. New filler neck required. Looked at all the options (Golf Mk1, stainless and BMW conversion) and decided that the Golf Mk1 neck was the route we were going to take.

Got new neck from GSF (£40 inc) and set them to removing the old one. After only 15 mins it was on the floor (along with 21 years of accumulated crap).

Next step was for them to measure the new against the old and make a first cut. Slightly on the long side just in case so that we could get it in better to make the final cut. This all went to plan and it quite easily became the correct length.

Next they used tin snips to remove the Mk1 securing bracket from aroung the filer hole and then filed it all smooth and coated the bare metal with Hammerite.

We cut it so that it went into the rubber tank pipe approx 3 inches as it no longer had the flare on the end.

It was then offered up to the car and secured. Slight bend of the mounting bracket and it was sorted. Also made a modified bracket for top mount using cut rubber water hose and jubilee clip - nice :hugegrin:

Next we did a bit of magnet fishing in the tank although there was a lot less rust there than expected.

After about 90 mins after starting, it was all over :chill:

Cracking group of lads worked on it and thoroughly enjoyed sorting it out. Even had one of them as the official photographer (see pictures below)

More work coming soon....................

PS - thanks for the comments Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Right then - been very busy sorting this and that with DCS. Unfortunately, as I don't teach all the workshop lessons, we are missing a few photos as some jobs are done whilst I teach theory. However, I still have lots of photos to show and stories to tell!

After fitting the new filler neck, we moved onto the brakes. The rears looked worse than they were and cleaned up very well. Usual weeping from the rear wheel cylinders so new ones were fitted. Rear bearings also spot on so just cleaned and repacked with new grease.

Front brakes just needed freeing off. Discs do have a lip on them but pads nearly new. Decided to leave them be for the time being so that we'd get a good brake pedal at the MOT.

However, we did find a split O/S CV Gaiter and a bit of movement if the O/S bottom ball joint so these were replaced as well.

More to come in a moment.............................

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Next task was cambelt. I had bee reliably informed by the previous owner that the cambelt was original and therefore nearly 21 years old!!

Purchased a new SKF cambelt and tensioner kit from Andrew Page Ltd and a learner christened his cambelt duck on the rocco!

As usual, water pump pulley bolts had rounded off so pump was removed to access the lower cambelt cover and remove the bolts. A new tensioner was fitted along with all new bottom pulley and water pump pulley bolts. Belt was set to tension and it cracked up first go!

Whilst it was off, I also cleaned and painted the upper timing belt cover :ok:

Next: new springs & fuel lines

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Just after DCS was delivered, I drove it into the workshop. Unfortunately, this meant going over a couple of speed bumps which assisted in snapping the OSF spring.

After pricing up a new spring and have a vote with the learners, there was only one thing for it - a lowering kit. A suitable lowering kit was acquired and they set to work. However, I was teaching theory at the time and they worked that fast, I didn't even get a photo of the work being done. I'm afraid all I've got is a before and after picture.

The only glitch here was a seized lower damper bolt so the damper had to be surgically removed from the car. Many thanks to Birdy in sorting me with a replacement damper as a stop gap.

Whilst it had been sat on axle stands having the springs replaced, I kept getting a whiff of petrol but didn't know where it was coming from. I knew the fuel llines were quite corroded but the was no fuel on the floor??

However, when we came to put the wheels back on, all was revealed. The fuel had been dripping into the wheel well of the OSF which had been stored under the car during the repairs. Ooops - it had also done a great job of stripping all the paint off the wheel !!

So onto the ramp it went and the old front to rear fule lines were removed. This included removing the front anti-roll bar to get them up the chassis.

Once removed, new lengths of copper pipe were layed along side to get the length and bent to shape. Once sorted, they were offere to the car - perfect fit :ok:

Replaced all the roll bar nuts with new and rebuilt - fuel tight at last...............................

Next: pre MOT

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
go-for-it1
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco) UPDATED 28th NOVEMBER

Post by go-for-it1 »

Hi Matt, are you allowed to replace the metal fuel lines with fuel grade plastic? I want to do this so there's no chance of any corrosion and blocking of the pipes with rust but I am not sure if the MOT rules allow it.
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

go-for-it1 wrote:Hi Matt, are you allowed to replace the metal fuel lines with fuel grade plastic? I want to do this so there's no chance of any corrosion and blocking of the pipes with rust but I am not sure if the MOT rules allow it.
Rob
Hi Rob - see Ants post re fuel lines...
The Autoad wrote: I took a punt and ordered a set of braided fuel lines from CrazyQuiff Mk1 Golf Emporium and am very pleased with the fit and quality of the lines. They are the same length as the original hardlines and very easy to fit.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Ryan wrote:Hi Rob - see Ants post re fuel lines...

Cheers Ryan,
Mines a Carb'd GT2 and £130+ from crazyquiffs for braided lines is a bit steep, recession an' all that! I have some semi rigid nylon/polyurethane tubing of the right size at work with a British Standard mark which says its suitable for fuel, and was hoping to DIY it by using this between the tank and the inline fuel filter with the rubber hoses at each end for connections. Is this legal? Nate, can you help here?
Rob

2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
andyneedham2

Post by andyneedham2 »

corroded lines was an advisory on my MOT this month so im pretty interested in the outcome of this, since im a skint student!!

Matt, glad the cars coming along well.

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

seeing as various parts of the fuel system uses rubber hoses then i cant see why not. As long as it doesn't sit anywhere near the exhaust where it might get too hot.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Cheers, I have had a closer look at mine since and I'm convinced now that they're already plastic!! You don't get BLUE metal do you?!!!
Rob

2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

Pretty sure that mk2 golf valvers (at least) use plastic fuel lines.

Brunty

Thainoodle

Post by Thainoodle »

go-for-it1 wrote:You don't get BLUE metal do you?!!!
Rob

Well I suppose the copper can oxidise, turning blue! But otherwise, no :)

GT Matt

Re: Project DCS (Derby College Scirocco) UPDATED 15th JANUARY

Post by GT Matt »

Hi all - longtime no update. Do apologise but been busy with Christmas etc etc

Anyway, DCS went for it's MOT and failed :crying:

Very subjective fail however as it was for light "pitting" on flexible brake pipe ferrules. Rubber was spot on but hey-ho!

Anyway, treated the car to a set of Goodridge braided hoses and set about fitting them Unfortunately, some of the metal brake pipes wouldn't undo so the car now also sports 4 new copper brake pipes (1 on each corner) and so it went back for a retest.

Success - 12 months MOT was issued and the tester even commented that he needed sunglasses to check the new hoses cause of the reflection from his inspection lamp!

Anyway some pictures.............................

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX