Spring Rates

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Island_boy_HSV
fill in the right answer: 10

Spring Rates

Post by Island_boy_HSV »

I was wondering if any one knew the spring rates for the standard MK2 Scirocco, any of the variants would do. I am looking at getting a set of coil overs as my first mod to lower the car slightly and firm up the suspension. I have been looking around and some of the spring rates seem very high when I compare them to with my less practical car that has coil overs. For example it is running 350lb springs on the front and it weighs 1650kg. One set of coilovers i looked at had 650lb springs for the Scriocco which raised my concern that it would be just too hard.

Ian Carvell

Re: Spring Rates

Post by Ian Carvell »

650lb is way to high for the road....actually way too high for the track aswell!!

Standard would be in the 150lb region at a guess.....I use 325lb in my car which is a daily driver, but part time racecar. That is more than you would want on the road really....its a bit rough, but I am willing to put up with it because most of my milage is motorway stuff.

And TBH 350lb that is all my dads ex VW Cup Mk2 Scirocco runs...and that is a bone fide full on race car!

Island_boy_HSV
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Spring Rates

Post by Island_boy_HSV »

That was kind of my thoughts on the matter too, 600lb seemed to high to me. So I should be looking for something in the middle like 280-300lb for a road car?