cold start, high reving

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
whatalotafun

cold start, high reving

Post by whatalotafun »

when i start the car she revs to 2k revs, this only revs this high untill the water temp starts to read on the temp gauge, i understand it's probably an autochoke thing on the 1.8 carb (peirberg), but can i turn it down at all?

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: cold start, high reving

Post by the edmundator »

You just need to replace the faulty part... or take the easy way out and fit a Weber.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun »

what is the faulty part, i have a spare carb here

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Im not too good with carbs, but I would check the pulldown unit.

pauline

Post by pauline »

whatalotafun wrote:when i start the car she revs to 2k revs, this only revs this high untill the water temp starts to read on the temp gauge, i understand it's probably an autochoke thing on the 1.8 carb (peirberg), but can i turn it down at all?

Mine does exactly the same, 1.8 carb don't worry about it anymore, as long as it runs ok.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Waxstat problem I would say. Small black round thing on the front of carb with two small water hoses going to it at right angles to each other. Need to remove air box to see it and a right angle philips screwdriver needed to get the 2 screws out for removal. This holds the revs at a higher setting till the water warms up then the wax element expands, moves an internal arm and lowers the revs. Change it for the one off your spare pierburg to see if that helps or get a new one from GSF.
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
Ian Carvell

Post by Ian Carvell »

Could be the waxstat....fairly easy to try replacing first.

Could be a blocked coolant channel in the intake manifold....a bit more difficult to fix (intake manifold off)

Or I had a bizarre problem with my GTII where water had been leaking into the fusebox and had messed up the control for the electronic choke....but that was at @2500rpm pretty much all of the time unless it was stinking hot!

whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun »

how much is a waxstat? can i get one from europarts? this sounds like it could be it. cos as soon is the temp drops back past a certain level it revs high on start up again.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Waxstat, Part No 18243, available at GSF (German, Swedish & French car parts) @ £38.50 + vat. Europarts dont list them in their website. Is there not a waxstat on the spare carb you say you have to try first?
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun »

i'll try the spare one first, but if it was only a few quid i would have just got another one