Engine cuts during braking, Please Help!

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Pulledpork89
fill in the right answer: 15

Engine cuts during braking, Please Help!

Post by Pulledpork89 »

Hi all, hope someone can help. I seem to have an issue with my engine cutting during braking, revs die and 9/10 times so does the engine. Pressing the brakes while the car idles does not have any effect on the engine.I have been looking for a vacuum leak for a while now using soapy water, easy start and by clamping shut vacuum lines to try and isolate the issue. So far no success. Interestingly I have noticed when quickly accelerating in reverse the engine bog's in a similar way. It is hard to tell however as you are on the gas when trying this.
Timing is fine.
1.8L 8v injected engine (89 Scala)
Any suggestions very much welcome at this point.

Cam.

GT_II

Re: Engine cuts during braking, Please Help!

Post by GT_II »

My knowledge of the fuel injection system is nonexistent.

However, the fact the engine cuts out when braking and also when accelerating backwards is interesting. In both cases, the car is being subjected to negative g-forces. This suggests the fault is mechanical in origin, eg a bad electrical connection, or the fuel supply is being interrupted.

If you search on Google for Golf Mk1 engine cutting out while braking you will find many suggestions, particularly on the Golf Mk1 forum, but from my brief look, no definitive solution. In one case, it appears that changing the fuel lift pump appeared, at least provisionally, to solve the issue, but of course there is no guarantee that this would be the fault on your Rocco.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
craigwalton

Re: Engine cuts during braking, Please Help!

Post by craigwalton »

I had the issue of heavy braking resulting in stalling when I first test drove my Mk2 about 9 years ago. I’m not 100% sure this was the culprit, but the fuel lift pump (the low pressure one in the tank) needed replacing. Perhaps the longitudinal forces are resulting in fuel starvation?

You can get to it by removing the rear seat bench (2 screws) then removing a small circular panel. I think the pump then comes out just by rotating it. Not too sure how to determine whether it is faulty or not.