engine swaps (again)

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
jjbull

engine swaps (again)

Post by jjbull »

hi :newbie: im wanting to buy and mod a scirocco for a project next year but the amount of differnet info ive been reading im getting a bit confused.
I want to drop a turbo unit in i want to as much of the work myself and im wondering what would get me the best bang for the buck and which is the most avaiable parts, ive read you can convert the 2l 16v to a turbo and i did see a site that had a list of parts that you would need or would a 20v engine be easier to fit and get working with its newer ecu, and finally would the model of rocco make a difference to how easy the job would go
just thought id add ive never done anything like this before but as it wont be my daily driver ive got a pretty open time frame,ive seen a few cars with the rear spoiler colour coded and i like this look but is the plastic ok to do this with as long as its prepped properly as ive seen some diy colour coded body parts that peeled off in a matter of months
Thanks in advance for any help i get

Mr Funk

Re: engine swaps (again)

Post by Mr Funk »

Personally I can't see that anything bigger than a well tuned 16valve or maybe a g60 will do the engine any justice.
What you have to remember is that the chassis isn't all that fabulous when you're pumping horses through it. Anything more than 180, maybe 200 and funny things start happening.
But saying that a good 150/180 bhp 1.8t lump would be scorching.
Colour coding the rear wing is a mission and, quite honestly, looks cack. If you want something like that then get yourself a good after market body kit.
Hope that helps.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

The way forward now on rapid tuned rocco's is the 20vt. You can buy everything you want off the shelf so as to speak, and there a number of units (engine's) for sale on forum's.
Only the other night i was chatting to a mate with a 16v turbo, asking whats envoled, how long does it take etc, and he's answer was pretty clear 20vT every thing is easy to get and off the shelf.

Personly im not that keen on the 20v in a rocco, to me it's to up to date for the car. But if your power hunter, and want smoothness with clean lines in your bay it's the way to go..

jjbull

Post by jjbull »

all info taken on board i was looking for around the 200 bhp range, im purely in the planning stages at the moment so just grabbing opinions and info are there any nice subtle body kits out there that people would recomend, ive just seen a 1.8t 20v lump for sale with all the running gear apart from the ecu for £550 is this about the average price they go for

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

do something original. the 20VT conversion is getting a bit common now, stick a volvo T5 lump in it! i can sell you one for much cheapness

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

I have gone with the masses and put a 16v engine in as they are cheap, reliable and within the era...

You can tune them very well and apparently I have heard a few times that the ABF was de-tuned somewhat as it would have been might close the the VR6..

A sorted 16v motor will see off most things to be fair and the tuning options are plentiful..
cams, head work, zorst, induction, carbs. Easily see 200bhp +

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
jjbull

Post by jjbull »

but whats going to get me the best bang for the buck a 16v that has to be tuned right up or a 20v turbo, decisions decisions.My other train of thought is that id rather have a engine running well within its limits than one tuned right up to breaking point. What sort of power can a 2.0 16v put out with a little tuning

Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Ryan »

jjbull wrote:What sort of power can a 2.0 16v put out with a little tuning
Rusty dan wrote:A sorted 16v motor will see off most things to be fair and the tuning options are plentiful..
cams, head work, zorst, induction, carbs. Easily see 200bhp +

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
jjbull

Post by jjbull »

i said a little tuning by that i mean basically from a rebuild, exhaust and induction kit

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

induction and exhaust will give you 10bhp on a good day i think MAX!

A little tuning on a turbo motor will cost mate, let alone fabrication of mounts, custom exhaust etc..

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
jjbull

Post by jjbull »

im cr@p at making decisions guess this is why i start planning so far in advance, thanks for everyones opinions

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Take your time fella, there's no rush.
Put things in perspective. I run an 8 valve that with a 2l bottom end, 4 branch and ss exhaust, kent cam, k and n filter and a few other bits will probably knock out close to 135/140 with a bloody good tune. perfectly achievable so a fair price that will, as a couple of the guys have pointed out, will eat a lot of bigger modern cars for breakfast and the engine isn't so heavy that it effects handling.
A well tuned 16v with a couple of bits and bobs will give even better performance, will absolutely hoon and the cost to build and maintain is pretty wallet friendly.
Honestly, you wouldn't believe how quick these cars are when you know what you're doing.
masses of bhp and torque is all well and good but pretty wasted if the chassis can't really take it and it effects handling

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

jjbull wrote: What sort of power can a 2.0 16v put out with a little tuning
If you source an abf unit (mk3golf) you start with 150 in the can. A simple bit of induction work, and good named manifold, along with the right tune up your looking between 160 - 170.
Also if you keep the abf's injection system (electronic) you can chip it.
But if heard many people say the running the abf on the k-jet system brings out the full oooph of the engine..

jjbull

Post by jjbull »

right im seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, i used to love my mates mk1campaign and remember how smile inducing that was so and his dream was to drop a 2.1 8v in from tsr so i think the 2.0 16v sounds good, are there any reliable people in the north east that would come recomended for porting and polishing

Ian Carvell

Post by Ian Carvell »

I recon the 16v conversion is damn good...roccos are so ligt that unless you are doing serious quick track stuff the 20v is a bit of over kill.

Although if you are looking for serious track stuff take a look at the JabbaSport G60 Turbo Corrado....that engine in a rocco would be seriously quick!!!

I think its about 320bhp which is plenty with such a light car on road tyres...and being as its the standard type block and head its a really really easy install!