Im pretty sure

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
haddock_n_chips
fill in the right answer: 15

Im pretty sure

Post by haddock_n_chips »

Petrol isnt supposed to look like this!

i replaced the fuel filter last night and poured out this gunk! tbh most of the petrol was ok, but the last dregs that had obviuosly been sat at the bottom of the filter were rather nasty

i think imay have a rust issue!

Ok so the fuel neck is rusted through, how much work/effort is it to clean the system out and replace the neck myself? or should i bung it in down the local garage and get them to sort it out? (local garage are pretty good and wont take the piss)

WiLL...........

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Im pretty sure

Post by Nate »

get yourself a £40 golf filler neck from gsf. this will take you under an hour to adapt to fit. chuck a magnet in the tank to collect the rust and run a couple of bottles of wynn's dry fuel thru it

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
haddock_n_chips

filler neck already sorted (juset waiting for final lick of paint)

usually use forte fuel injector cleaner when i service the car as i thought wynns was a bit crap?

what does the dry fuel stuff do?

i think i may need to detach all the lines and blast them through? to get rid of dust etc any tips?

got magnets in the tank already, as i cleaned it out not long ago

Nate

Post by Nate »

haddock_n_chips wrote:usually use forte fuel injector cleaner when i service the car as i thought wynns was a bit crap?

what does the dry fuel stuff do?
it does what it says! it absorbs the remaining water than will be in the tank if the filler neck had a hole in it, and then lets mix with the fuel so it can be burnt off.

tbh there is very little difference between the various brands

haddock_n_chips

cool im gunna grab me a can of that then!

still think there is rust in the system though so gunna take fuel hoses off and blast through and chek injectors

need to find a spare weekend!

Nate

Post by Nate »

if it's an injection it's got an electric pump? disconnect the pipe from the engine bay end and power up the pump and it'll wash the lines thru with fuel from the tank. don't put this back into the tank without running it thru a filter first!