Photos of clutch cable either side of the bulkhead - help!

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
daveyheats
fill in the right answer: 15

Photos of clutch cable either side of the bulkhead - help!

Post by daveyheats »

Evening all,

Wondering if any kind soul out there has photos of the clutch cable from both the footwell side and the engine bay side for my reference?

The clutch cable has decided to go on a jolly through the bulkhead, and I'd like to see if I'm missing anything on the footwell side. Also curious to see if there should be any sort of grommet for the brake cable too.

I have a new grommet and retaining clip to go on, and will be buying a new clutch cable too obviously, but photos would be really handy.

No wonder this clutch was almost impossible to move :-(

Kdc169

Re: Photos of clutch cable either side of the bulkhead - help!

Post by Kdc169 »

Hi davey theres a rubber that goes through cable for the bulkhead clutch. fits in the clutch repair plate. ive got 3 plates left.. and i think the new clutch cable comes with the rubber bung.

www.kennysclassiccars.co.uk is me.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/ ... F4QAvD_BwE shows the bung.. would check that the cable fits before ordering search part number on your cable.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 126000/#26 OEM drawings.. to give idea how goes and some part numbers.

daveyheats

Post by daveyheats »

You're an absolute star mate, thanks so much for that. Have just ordered one of your repair plates, so that will certainly help!

Will rip out the old cable shortly and order replacement of the same part number just to be safe. Thanks again :)

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

On its way mate

tim-the-car

Post by tim-the-car »

I had been trying to get one of these for my MK1 for some time, and had made a bodge as a temporary solution to get by. So thanks to all this I have nabbed the last one!!!

p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by p in phcas »

Watch out. The golf reinforcement plates that are supposed to fit don't - very well. The bulkhead profile is slightly different and there's extra holes that you need to take care of. No one mentioned this to me when I bought a plate off of a seller on eBay. I have a couple of pics if interested when I did mine.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

p in phcas wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:59 am Watch out. The golf reinforcement plates that are supposed to fit don't - very well. The bulkhead profile is slightly different and there's extra holes that you need to take care of. No one mentioned this to me when I bought a plate off of a seller on eBay. I have a couple of pics if interested when I did mine.
Hi if you can share pictures, im about to get on the lazer cutter and make some plate, not sure about the pressings yet, but will gladly look at making something to fit rocco.
I was making 120mm x 140mm plate with the hole for grommet , as my rocco have been welded up badly, so i thought make a patch big enough to trim down.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Sorry, just seen the message. How is the best way to get pics to you?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
james butler

Post by james butler »

i will have to search for it but ive done a drawing for a bulkhead repair patch that can be bolted in
putting closed cell foam between the bulkhead and the outer plate seals and spreads the load.
whatever you do dont weld the repairs in as it never lasts very long due to the stresses welding causes and the constant flexing of the bulkhead from the clutch being operated.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!