Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, tie rods

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MattR2020
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, tie rods

Post by MattR2020 »

Wanting to align front wheels on my Scirocco mk2. Noticed that the left hand side TIE ROD is none adjustable were as the right hand side is ADJUSTABLE (RHD car) . I have found out that none adjustable is a factory fitted tie rod and these were never sold as replacements so I tend to think anyone replacing tie rods replaced both sides with adjustable ones. I was guessing this is much easier for wheel alignment but then I'm thinking that the wheels must have been true upon leaving the production line thirty years back. So my question is do I replace both sides with adjustable ties or just replace the right hand side as original layout and will my car be able to have the wheels aligned correctly using this method? I. E. Only one adjustable tie rod!!!

Also has anyone used Febi Tie rod? I seem to think they do fair quality items for the money spent.

ANY information is welcome, cheers

GT_II

Re: Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, tie rods

Post by GT_II »

Is there a particular reason you are thinking of renewing the tie rods - the adjustable one seized up maybe or a dodgy tie rod end? VW obviously decided that just one adjustable tie rod would be enough to correct any toe-in errors, with any slight difference between left and right on future adjustment corrected by moving the steering wheel on its splines. I don't think people were that bothered in the 70s if the steering wheel ended up slightly off centre. Later Mk2s were fitted with an adaptor ring between the column and steering wheel to create more splines for more precise steering wheel alignment.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Cheers, yeah the nut is rounded off on the adjustable tie rod, one wheel left in out 6% and righthand it around 40%... Hence why I need to replace. So you think just go for the right hand side renewel and that should get them about right.?

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

If the suspension and steering are all stock, and all in good condition, I'd be tempted to swap just the one to start with, but I'd want to check the camber angles first, particularly if it looks like the struts have been dismantled in the past, as that will obviously affect toe. Acoording to Haynes, the camber angle should be between -10' and +50' (which I think suggests slightly wider at the top) and the toe between -5' and - 30' (which I think means slightly wider at the front).

MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Steering all stock, I recently changed suspension all round to coil overs (brand new) so they are not stock. All wishbones and associated parts are new but replaced to original spec bar the tie rods replacement anyway. Perhaps I will go with the one for now and see how I get on. 🤔

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The coilovers might affect toe, but by how much, I wouldn't like to guess.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

If there’s no play in the original fixed passenger side tie rod and track rod end I would keep it as just replace the drivers side, but up to you if you wish the change it over for a new rod and and end. Properly worth changing the rubber boots as well if it’s all in bits...

As you have had the suspension changed it’s worth checking the camber angle before getting the tracking done.
Most tyre fitting places can’t do camber angle as they don’t have the equipment but some do so it’s worth a phone call before travelling anywhere.
The full set is approx £60.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323