Fueling issue. Any help?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Mk2liamjones
fill in the right answer: 15

Fueling issue. Any help?

Post by Mk2liamjones »

Hello all, im in need of some help with a fueling issue, im not sure what to try next so any help would be great :)

1990. 1.8, weber 32/34 dmtl carb,

Plenty of fuel in the tank.
No blockages in the pipes. (blew through them)
New fuel pipes. (part from 2, waiting to be delivered)
Sender unit removed cleaned and refitted.
New fuel filter.
New fuel pump.

I fed fuel in the the filter and turned the car over, the fuel went down to the pump but didnt make it to the carb, so i put fuel straight to the carb and the car fired up.

Could the fuel vapour separator be blocked and thats why the fuel didnt make it to the carb?

Also why wouldnt the pump be pulling fuel from the tank?
Do i need to pime/ manually pull the fuel from the tank to the filter?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fueling issue. Any help?

Post by mark1gls »

How old is the carb, newly fitted or been on there years?
Did the car run ok before, any hesitation or difficult to start or idle?
Got a couple of pictures of carb and connections etc?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Mk2liamjones

Post by Mk2liamjones »

mark1gls wrote:How old is the carb, newly fitted or been on there years?
Did the car run ok before, any hesitation or difficult to start or idle?
Got a couple of pictures of carb and connections etc?
Im not to sure how old the carb is, sorry i should have said, i bought the car as a non running project so ive not actually had the car running apart from when i put fuel into the carb, i havent got any photos of it but ill take some today after i finish work

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

When I changed all of the fuel pipes I forgot to do the two from the sender. As soon as they were changed fuel came through. My separator also played up. I also changed that but be aware it is different to a MK2 golf one. I'm sure there's more information in a different thread or do a search.
We've also recently bought golf with a Weber but it also needed the fuel filter changing along with some pipes so it was happier.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I had mega problems with the fuel system on my 1991 Gt11 last year. I already had a new tank and filler neck fitted a few years ago so I knew that was ok. I stripped down the carb top and cleaned everything; all new fuel pipes; pump; vapour separator. :beg:

Eventually, after removing the inlet manifold and replacing the gasket and water seal (which was still in good condition remarkably); i’ve had no fuel supply issues since. I looked at the inlet manifold because I had smoke or gasses rising up. And I had read that if the gasket wasn’t sealing, then the carb wouldn’t get enough draught to operate properly.
I went through many scenarios of fuel starvation, including an imaginary split fuel pickup pipe :-o

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.