Immobiliser

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ttechnics
fill in the right answer: 15

Immobiliser

Post by Ttechnics »

What are people using? I've been taking ht lead off just for peace of mind but it isn't practical in the long run I will just have faulty ht lead. I spoke to an auto electrician and he recommended a toad power key Thatcham approved, but I'm wondering if a hidden switch somewhere might suffice. I'd be interested if anyone has used either method. I understand posting exact methods on Internet forum isn't a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

chopperoli

Re: Immobiliser

Post by chopperoli »

whichever way you go, make sure it covers more than one vital circuit not just the obvious one

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

In my MK3 Golf there is plenty of space to add further switches, one of which can act as an immobiliser. Used to be easy to do on my brothers old Merc.
In the Scirocco where is the room to add further switches that blend in with the rest. If getting an immobiliser, get it Thatcham approved to bring down your insurance. In some cases they can pay for themselves unless you have a classic policy. Make sure that whatever you select it cannot wear out through use. This goes for the chip and the device it plugs into. Cobra aren't a bad make and are pretty heavy duty.

james butler

Post by james butler »

on the gti immobilizing the fuel pump relay and the coil is all that is needed but on carbed versions that have a mechanical pump you will need to immobilize the coil and ignition somewhere else as you need 2 independent points of immobilization.
i have toad ai606 which is category 1 thatcham approved

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

One id like is a what came in the 306 which was key pad immob thay sat in the center console by thr gear stick

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Something else that springs to mind is some thick locks on the tow eyes

james butler

Post by james butler »

even if you removed the towing eyes someone using a truck would just wrap the rope around the wishbone.
when my datsun dumped all its coolant the recovery guy wouldnt use the towing eye as he didnt trust it so used an long alloy hook thing over the wishbone, took seconds to put on and no faffing about with screw in eyes on modern cars.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I wonder if BlackGTX meant using the towing eyes to anchor the car to an immovable object?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Chaining a towing eye to a tree or lamp post would certainly deter most thieves

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Thinking more of in the garage to make life harder for them. If the car is low getting tied on under is abit harder