Back Screen Window Wiper Not Working .

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
G Beats
fill in the right answer: 10

Back Screen Window Wiper Not Working .

Post by G Beats »

I wonder if anybody can help me off here ? The back window wiper suddenly stop working on Sally . I have cleaned the circuit board and the relays . And replaced some them as this is a problem with the mk 2 as you can get water coming as the drain holes in the sunroof get blocked .

AM thinking I need to get a new relay for it as you get a clicking sound when you try to operate it and you can hear the electric power in the back wiper screen motor .

Many thanks to all that can help off here it is more then appercited .

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Jack92
Site Admin
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Back Screen Window Wiper Not Working .

Post by Jack92 »

First port of call I would say would be use a multi meter and see how much power you are getting at the motor.

It could be the relay is on its way out but this is very unusual as they normally just die.

I’d suspect the motor.

I do have a full motor set up if you do need it later on just drop me a pm

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

I've got exactly the same problem. A sparky is checking mine out on Thursday, I'll let you know the outcome.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
james butler

Post by james butler »

could also be the wiring in the tailgate has failed, testing the plug on the motor for power is the best idea.
one thing to remember is that removing the wiring out of the tail gate isnt easy!
the wires must have been inserted into the plug after they were passed through the little hole they go through so disassembly of the plug is required to remove the motor.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

james butler wrote:could also be the wiring in the tailgate has failed, testing the plug on the motor for power is the best idea.
one thing to remember is that removing the wiring out of the tail gate isnt easy!
the wires must have been inserted into the plug after they were passed through the little hole they go through so disassembly of the plug is required to remove the motor.
This is why I cut it when removing the one I had out [emoji23]

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
james butler

Post by james butler »

Jack92 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 pm
james butler wrote:could also be the wiring in the tailgate has failed, testing the plug on the motor for power is the best idea.
This is why I cut it when removing the one I had out [emoji23]
for future reference,
on the individual connectors inside the plug theirs a barb you press in with a fine flat blade that allows you to pull the wires out without the need to cut them

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

My sparky has discovered there is no power to the wires in the tailgate, so guessing it's fuse/relay. I no longer have the clicking noise when it tries to operate. Anyone got a wiring diagram for this?

Dave

'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

scrumpyone wrote:My sparky has discovered there is no power to the wires in the tailgate, so guessing it's fuse/relay. I no longer have the clicking noise when it tries to operate. Anyone got a wiring diagram for this?
If you no longer have the clicking noise bud chances are it’s the reply.
Not sure if this is correct I’ve just found it

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Cheers matey. I'll pass it on to my man & update on the outcome later this week.

Dave

'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

When mine went I’m pretty sure it was this problem and the fix would have worked had I caught up with it in time but by the time I got around to it the motor had burnt out and the fuse blown.

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/rearw ... wiper.html

I replaced mine with a working motor from an earlier car. At some stage VW changed the size of the motor spindle so if your replacement isn’t identical you’ll also need the complete wiper arm etc. from the donor car.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Maybe this is some help in your search.

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE1.html

Joost

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Yes I'am thinking it is the Relay .

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

No it is not the relay .

Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Mine has just pooped itself this morning m. Did a single wipe then stopped working, relay still ticking away and can activate the washer jet from the stalk so can’t imagine it’s the tailgate wiring/relay which are the other options I’ve seen suggested on pages. New motor time?

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Rear wiper suicide is quite common. They get depressed once they realise the pointlessness of their existence. I always remove them and try to find them a good home in the used parts community.