Valve cover gasket replacement

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Valve cover gasket replacement

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the valve cover gasket. However, I can't get the upper part of the timing belt cover off. I've removed both top nuts and the allen key nut in the center but it won't budge. Do I need to prise it off or is there any other nuts?

Thanks

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Valve cover gasket replacement

Post by james butler »

is yours the metal cover type?
if i remember right it kind of lifts of at a funny angle givving the appearance its stuck but it should come off fairly easily so i wouldnt prise it off

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

just noticed this on another forum that might help?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... d-please_3

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I found that I have to loosen the alternator belt as well, pull out the bottom bit a little and then lift it up, depending on how the top part was put on it may be underneath the spreader bar running along the rocker cover?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I got it off in the end, it came out at a weird angle. Didn't want to start yanking it incase anything brittle snapped or anything. When putting it back together, I believe the torque for the cover is 10. Is there a sequence to be followed or not?

Cheers

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Yeah mine had the metal one on, never came off easy. Replaced it with a new plastic upper and lower cover.

- David
james butler

Post by james butler »

Lukeh17 wrote:Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I got it off in the end, it came out at a weird angle. Didn't want to start yanking it incase anything brittle snapped or anything. When putting it back together, I believe the torque for the cover is 10. Is there a sequence to be followed or not?

Cheers
theres not really a sequence but it is best to start in the middle and work your way out as you would a head gasket.
DO NOT OVETIGHTEN THE BOLTS/NUTS.
i do believe the torque is around 10nm but i just nip it up enough to stop it leaking, its all too easy to snap a stud in the head.

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

james butler wrote:
Lukeh17 wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers
theres not really a sequence but it is best to start in the middle and work your way out as you would a head gasket.
DO NOT OVETIGHTEN THE BOLTS/NUTS.
i do believe the torque is around 10nm but i just nip it up enough to stop it leaking, its all too easy to snap a stud in the head.
Perfect!! Thanks

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

This job is just getting stupid now. Due to Christmas and stuff, I've had to do the job in small stages. It's just turning into a nightmare as every stage, I am faced with an issue. I have cleaned it all up and put the new studs in apart from one, which no matter what I try, will not budge. I've used WD40, brake cleaner, ratchet set, and bought a stud extractor which doesn't tighten up enough around it to be able to get it out. I've even hack-sawed the top of the stud and tried to use a screwdriver on a ratchet set but to no avail. Even tried the double nut technique and heating it up, which haven't worked. Are there any other ways of removing this stud?

Once it's out, the job will be done!!

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Weld a socket to the top, then a long breaker bar or 1/2 rachet and a seat post extender

Firmly build the pressure up before moving and try slowly to turn it. Itll be possible to snap it if you yank it

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

JOB IS FINALLY DONE!!!

Welded a nut to the top of the stud and managed to free it up. Everything went as planned. Started her up, started on the first turn of the key after 3-4 weeks of nothing and left her idling. Drover her around and got her up to temperature and so far, so good :-D :-)