Scala running problems.

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
davywavygravy

Scala running problems.

Post by davywavygravy »

:newbie: Hi i have just bought a 1.8 inj Scala.It starts on the button runs around 1500 revs but as soon as you put the throttle down it nearly dies as if there is a lack of fuel.You can cruise along if you only touch the throttle & dont rev above 3000revs. The previous owner says he has change both pumps!When you rev it in neutral it sounds like a tractor above 3000revs & even warm runs at 1500 revs. Its booked in for next friday but would like to fix it myself if possible.Does anyoe know what could be wrong ????? Thanks David.

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Scala running problems.

Post by Nate »

check all the ignition stuff is in good order ( older VWs can be hard on ignition components, particularly if they're cheapo ones)

remove the base of the back set, remove the inspection hatch, then remove the sender/pump unit from the tank. check inside for any signs of water -it will puddle on the botto of the tank. if there is, suck it out with a bit of hose, repair or replace the rusted filler neck (see here, and curse the previous owners for not cleaning out under the arches ever, so all the crusty mud has built up, held water and accelerated the rust) chuck a new fuel filter on it and then regularly use wynn's dry-fuel for a month or two

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3