Flickering handbrake light

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Junglist
fill in the right answer: 10

Flickering handbrake light

Post by Junglist »

I've seen loads of cars with this fault, mainly sciroccos. I guess it's been covered loads of times but can someone fill me in? How do I fix it? Cheers all.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Ryan

Re: Flickering handbrake light

Post by Ryan »

Mine was a faulty handbrake switch (located below the handbrake).

Although I was also told that it could be a fault with the brakes.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

it could be a leak too Kieran.
Check for puddles of fluid at each corner or any sign of dampness around brake hardware.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I had the brake lines bled a year ago and the rear pads and cylinders changed recently, so I reckon it's more likely the switch or something slse electrical. Would have thought mechanic would spot a leak? Maybe not, I wouldn't know. The light has flickered for 2 years intermittently but got worse when I got the back brakes sorted for MOT.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Have you checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir? There is a switch in the reservoir cap which would cause the light to flicker if the fluid level is too low.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

PeteGLi wrote:Have you checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir? There is a switch in the reservoir cap which would cause the light to flicker if the fluid level is too low.
The handbrake light is also the low brake fluid level warning light, as Pete says.

If the level is low:

If you can't see an obvious leak at any of the brake pipe unions or from the master cylinder, the rear wheel cylinders inside the rear drums are a good next bet. They can often be overlooked and the rubber in them perishes after a while.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX