Newbie with first MK2 'Garage find'

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Darren5591
fill in the right answer: 15

Newbie with first MK2 'Garage find'

Post by Darren5591 »

Hey all,

Newbie here picking up my first Scirocco in a couple of weeks time and would like to identify what the colour is? I've had a look online and I can't see a colour code the same as this for a 1986 GTX. It seems like it could be either Cosmos blue (which i've only seen on the earlier Scala models) or Arctic blue metallic. Can anyone shed some light? Unfortunately I don't have the car yet so can't check the colour code in person but i'm leaning more towards the Arctic Blue.

It's a bit of a garage find in immaculate condition (if a little dusty!) and will be keeping this original as I can. Original paint with 69k on the clock and 1 previous owner from new - it would be sacrilege to do anything else! The RSPB stickers etc will be going though!

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Newbie with first MK2 'Garage find'

Post by GTXTRA »

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Nice find, GTX are comparatively rare nowadays, so glad to here you're not going to bugger around with it (get a GTII or a Scala if you want to do that!).

It will be Arctic Blue Metallic, there should be a sticker inside the boot on the rear panel with the paint code (something like LA5Y - although that isn't arctic blue). The same sticker is usually inside the original service book if you have that.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Darren5591

Post by Darren5591 »

Great link, it must be Arctic Blue then!

Can't wait to get started on it, although it doesn't actually look like it's going to be too much work. I was originally going to break it for parts (before seeing the condition) as I'm currently building an '83 MK1 Golf GTi and these basically share most of the same parts including the DX engine. Nice to see it's all original though and the interior is like new. I think being garaged all its life has meant the dash etc are perfect, I did spot a slightly unclipped air vent slat on the dash but i'm just being picky!

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Nice find, and well done for keeping it original!! :good:

GT Matt

Post by GT Matt »

Good find Darren and original is definitely the way forward for this car. Budget for some fuel system work if its been stood for any length of time though along with a new set of tyres!

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Could you tell me the name of that cassette player in there please!!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad it's not being broken for spares, would be such a shame for an original car like that. Same thinks as Mk1 golf to watch out for on the fuel system like the rusty fuel filler neck and rusty fuel tank as that will kill the K-jet system and get expensive.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Great find there!

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Darren5591

Post by Darren5591 »

Cheers guys, I should be picking this up next weekend so will be taking more pics and doing a full detail. In the meantime, here are a couple of other pics I didn't get round to posting up the first time round.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Great find!

- David
Chris_vw_1987

Post by Chris_vw_1987 »

Very nice! :)

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Am very jealous! Nice car.

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

very nice find, same as my GTX,it look very clean,

Darren5591

Post by Darren5591 »

Bit of an update!

Well I bought the car :-D

New fuel, fuel filter and in tank lift pump (the pancake filter had gone gummy with old fuel) and she fired up. Had to play with the mixture a little but running well now. Booked into MOT the next week and it passed! Genuinely couldn't believe my luck, will be replacing tyres and doing a proper service & timing belt change shortly but been using it a bit to make sure nothing was faulty. I did have an issue with the dash lights, but it turned out to be the headlight switch needed a good clean on the dimmer swing arm.

Spent the weekend detailing it, apart from the RSPB stickers it's completely original. You can just about see my MK1 GTi project lurking behind!

Not the greatest pictures in the world but will do until I get some proper ones.