New member, new car :)

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
scatman
fill in the right answer: 15

New member, new car :)

Post by scatman »

Have you ever made a heart over head desiciona? As I very recently have. I swapped my 2001 audi A4 estate, a amazing car, for a mk2 scirocco, a straight swap I might add and I had to drive 200 miles each way to deliver and pick the car. In the 3 weeks I've owned the scirocco, its cut out multiple times (usually up hill on the motorway), completely died on me once and has made every one believe I'm crazy. And do you know what?
I would make the swap again in a heart beat. Despite all the cars faults, its full of character and is great fun to drive. Once I've sorted out the niggles (hopefully with some guidance from you lovely people) she be a fantasticily good car.
And here she is

So here my todo list;
Sort out fuel problem (which is what I believe is causing the car to cut out) I have a new fuel filter and will hopefully be cleaning out the swirl pot this weekend

New tyres for my new alloys, I love how these look but at the moment can't afford tyres for them :/

(you can probably guess which set I'm on about)

Also want some coil overs to adjust it's ride height and sort out the rake it has. And after that it's just general up keep. I do have plans for an engine swap but that's years down the road. Need more money first.....donations are welcome ;)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New member, new car :)

Post by mark1gls »

Looks like a tidy car you have there. :ok: Welcome to driving something different then a every day tin box you see on the roads.
As for the fuel problem post on the technical section but 1st of check the fuel filler neck for holes (shine a torch down it and look for holes)
What carb do you have fitted, a Webber (manual choke) or the original Pierburg (auto choke)?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scatman

Post by scatman »

I have the pierburg carb, for now atleast. I'm looking towards the weber conversion in the nearish future. Due to the fact they are apparently better in every way.

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

welcome to the scirocco club fella , im sure you will find answers to all your questions here in the forum. well done on the straight swap ! sciroccos all the way. august 8th raf cosford is the uk's national scirocco meet ,, do turn up and enjoy the atmosphere and the massive meet of the sciroccos.. everyone there ( and on here ) are a great bunch. where abouts are you based ?

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
scatman

Post by scatman »

I'm based in Salisbury Wiltshire, sadly I'm busy that weekend, or I would come. Especially if managed to solve the fuel issue by then, being able the car a good run at full chat instead of plodding around at 55/60. Hopefully next year instead, or a more local one to me before then :)

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

scatman wrote:Due to the fact they are apparently better in every way.
Probably the only way in which the Weber is a better carb than the Pierburg is that it is simpler. Properly maintained, the Pierburg is a better carb.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
scatman

Post by scatman »

I've heard the pierburg can be a right pain with the automatic choke and that the webers provide more power and are a little bit more efficient? This is only what I've read online so it could be utter tripe. Do you no if any of it is true?

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Weber is less efficient and almost certainly no difference in power (plenty of people will say it has more power, but what they are usually comparing it to is a Pierburg that wasn't working properly - it is never based on rolling road readouts or any other factual evidence). The Weber is also slightly noisier, which will always give the illusion of being more powerful.

You are quite right that the Pierburg can be difficult to get working properly. It is a complicated system and very few professional garages at the time could maintain them properly - now you'll struggle to find anyone who really understands them. That's why most people replace them with a Weber - for the amateur, home mechanic it's a lot easier to maintain.

If your carb is working properly at the moment, I wouldn't replace it until you have to make the decision.

If you're interested in tuning the car and trying to get a lot more power, then you'll probably have to junk the Pierburg.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Welcome to the rocco world dude, that's gonna look awesome on those ATS!

scatman

Post by scatman »

Thanks man, I can't wait to get the ats cups on either.

Jez_H

Post by Jez_H »

Just joined myself - I have a garaged Mk2 I bought in 2004. SORN at the moment due to similar fuel issue I've never got to the bottom of.
Yours looks awesome - inspired me to look again and see if I can fix. Car cuts out after 3 miles and then goes again. Fuel delivery of some sort for sure.

scatman

Post by scatman »

Glad I could inspire you, assuming it's a carbed engine.here's what I would do (am doing) change the fuel filter, there £2 on eBay and inspect the old one for crud. Next check the inside of the fuel. Do this by removing the rear seats, and you sell a black plate with 3 screws. Undo theses and remove the back plate. You should see a your fuel pick up (the white plastic thing), undo the pipes going to it. To remove the pick up, its turns 45 degrees and pops out. It can be a stiff S.O.B. Look in the fuel tank for Rust and such. If your tank has rust in it but isn't rusty itself, your filler neck will be. This rust can block the pick up. Also clean the pick up holes on the end of the pick up (if memory serves there should be 16) a thin bit of wire is great for unblocking these as you can just thread it though the holes. To get any rust of out your tank, you need to drain it, remove it from the car and shake it. I would also replace the vapour pot at the front of the car attached to the engine (silver thing with two pipes going into the side and one coming out of the top) these and corrode internally and there is not filter between that and the carb so if can ruin fuel. Again there on eBay for £24.
A rust filler neck will need to be replaced or repaired (though I am currently thinking about using fine wire mess as a filter between the bottom of the neck and the fuel take to catch rust) if this, doesn't fix the issue, I would probably give the carb a good service.I do apologise if this teaches you to sick eggs, but I do hope it helps :)

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Hey man, welcome along

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
scatman

Post by scatman »

Thank you :)

Roccogtx332

Post by Roccogtx332 »

Common fault with the pierburg choke was the wax stat and caused cold start issues. These only cost a few pounds from GSF and are easy to change. I've had 4 1.8's all with pierburg and only had this problem twice.

Rocco '86 GTX all original driving project