MK2 Info

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

MK2 Info

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hey everyone,

It may seem a stupid question but to me it's worth asking. I have been researching the Scirocco's and there are so many different types of the MK2. Just wondered why over a 12 year period we had so many e.g. CL being replaced by the GT which was replaced by the GT2 (The standard types). GL Replaced by the GTL (luxury models). GTI replaced by the GTX which was replaced by the Scala (top of the range models). Where does the Storm and GLS come into it? I know the GLS was only made for a year. It just seems a little odd to me to make so many different types. Obviously countries like Germany & USA had their own types that didn't make it here to the UK like the Tropic and Wolfsburg edition.

Would like to hear people's reasons and thoughts.

Thanks

Luke

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK2 Info

Post by the edmundator »

VW saw 3 main buyer categories:

1) people who wanted the "show" (a coupe) but didn't have the cash/desire for "go" or luxuries (sports seats etc) - CL, GT etc.
2) people who wanted their coupe to be something along the lines of a grand tourer (bigger engine, velour upholstery) - GL, GTL
3) people who wanted their coupe to be a sports car - GTI, GTX

The Storm blurred the lines between 2 & 3 above and appealed to the traditional British luxury sports-car buyer.

I don't think the number of models is particularly excessive. As time goes by, revisions are always necessary to tempt buyers to choose an older car design, when newer, better competitors will have been released.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Marketing.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

In terms of some of the designations, such as 'CL', the changes were probably brought about by changes of designation descriptors across the whole VW range, which manufacturers do from time to time reflecting fashion.

For example, back in the '80s and '90s, the standard Vauxhall's were all 'L', then later, 'LS', 'Envoy' and nowadays 'Design'.

In any event, the 'GT' (Grant Touring) designation fits in more with the sporting and touring pretense of the Scirocco, as opposed to more 'mundane' models, such as the Polo or Passat.

Agree with Edmundator on the rest.

jim91

Post by jim91 »

Don't forget the GTS ............

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

It's also worth remembering these models spanned 10 years...Unheard of these days.

- David
Roccogtx332

Post by Roccogtx332 »

Early rocco mk2s were a flop as they were more expensive than the same spec golf, hence years of catch up. What never made sense was going back to carbs with the Scale and GT2 models. Other than far superior styling you may as well have bought a golf gti at the time.

Rocco '86 GTX all original driving project