Suspension upgrade for GTII

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
chrisgtx

Suspension upgrade for GTII

Post by chrisgtx »

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced suspension replacement? Car is a Mk2 GTII. I'd like to replace the whole struts at the front as they were an advisory at the last MOT but don't want to drop the ride height too much. Also don't want the ride to be too hard. Any advice would be welcome.

Tim_R
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Suspension upgrade for GTII

Post by Tim_R »

The front dampers are inserts into the strut so when you replace them you keep the part with the spring pan.

Photo from my project thread showing it dissembled.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Fronts are oil filled with piston on the rod if original, they only have inserts fitted if they have had work done in the past, Tim yours have obviously had the inserts fitted by someone else. If the struts are corroded then you need to assess whether they are worth removing, blasting and recoating or if they are too far gone and you need to stay original, then second hand are the only way to go as they are no longer available friom VW. Aftermarket struts are available, search online for Golf Mk1 shocks including Cabriolet as that will give more options, Mk1 golf suspension will fit Mk2 Scirocco's.
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've just fitted an AP -35mm spring and shock kit. New top mounts went on too, as the old ones were falling to bits.

Nice firm ride, but not crashy

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've just fitted an AP -35mm spring and shock kit. New top mounts went on too, as the old ones were falling to bits.

connorj19
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by connorj19 »

Nate wrote:I've just fitted an AP -35mm spring and shock kit. New top mounts went on too, as the old ones were falling to bits.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.. Nate did your AP kit come complete or were they just inserts and spings. Reason for asking is my roc currently has crashy cheap coilovers on and wanting to change to the AP Kit. Also what are they like now you've had them for a few month?

Cheers

Nate

Post by Nate »

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, sadly they were just inserts, and not complete struts as advertised :(