20VT conversion

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

20VT conversion

Post by the edmundator »

I'm considering options for an engine in a scirocco that has an empty bay at the moment. After scouring eBay for a few months, it seems that EGs are like rocking horse poo, or come with an overpriced lump of mk1 Golf attached. The same seems to be true of DXs and KRs, except that they are mostly fixed into mk2 Golfs and have pretty much all done epic mileage.

The best value seems to be 20VT 1.8s, which are plentiful and can be found in a car with an MoT and well under 100k on the clock for £500-£1000. 150bhp without any mods seems appealing (and plenty), too. I understand I'll have other expenses that wouldn't come with one of the engines that originally came in an A series platform, but the end result could be worth it.

I presume a 20VT from a donor with an auto box would be ok?

Any suggestions for other suitable engines I could find in a cheap donor (preferably something I can buy with an MoT and run for a while to check all is tickety-boo) gratefully received.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
bengould

Re: 20VT conversion

Post by bengould »

A 20vt from an auto would probably be preferable to a manual. Slightly less likely to be thrashed.
The auto box will usually do a better job of keeping it away from the redline than a manual.
150bhp AGU engines are cheap and a decent solid engine to start with that will give you lots of room for improvement. Decent internals and the large port head & manifold. Also pretty much bomb proof coil packs unlike the newer versions.
Newer engines develop slightly more power out of the box but the AGU with a k03s turbo and a remap will match this easily.
Don't get one from a car with a longitudinally mounted engine, Although it will work, you will need to change the manifolds and turbo for that off a transverse engine.

Engine mounts are pretty easy especially if you decide to keep the 020 box. You only need the Drivers side engine mount modifying slightly. I have the plan for doing this if you need it.

Wiring can be done yourself if you are this way inclined, or if like me wiring confuses the hell out of you, the loom can be converted for about £400 - Including the tacho converter box for your rev counter. Then it really is a case of plug 4 wires in and turn the key. :-)

Having done this in mine recently and still with 150bhp. I can confirm this is enough in a small light car. Not that more isn't tempting, but it certainly isn't needed.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask I'm more than happy to offer advice and knowledge (or lack of).

As far as cost, my AGU engine was only £275 with the loom, ecu, turbo, alternator and all sensors.

Ben.

marcus

Post by marcus »

What are the implications for insurance, eg how much more does it cost, do you need to modify the standard brakes, what info do the insurers want?

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
bengould

Post by bengould »

Hi,

Despite what people say the standard brakes are up to the job. As long as they are set up properly. I have never had an issue with Scirocco brakes on any of the 3 I have owned. Depends on your driving style really.
I will be upgrading via the Vauxhall 256mm conversion after Christmas though. Not because they aren't any good though, more because they were cheap and I like messing with things.
I would say If you are going for more than the standard 150bhp or thinking about doing track days, upgrading is probably a good Idea, the standard small discs don't cope with prolonged hard use & exessive heat build up that well.

As far as insurance goes I have actually managed to get mine insured cheaper than I had with the standard engine.
Not a fair comparison as this is on a limited mileage classic car policy, where my old policy was unlimited mileage and covered to drive other cars too.

At 32 with no accidents or convictions and all modifications declared I am paying about £250.

Ben.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

ABF all the way - look for a Mk2 Ibiza 2.0 GTi 16v/Cupra

Bad example here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-IBIZA-GT ... 1424705694

but a 46,000 miler (albeit Cat C) was on ebay for £695 recently

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

Pretty much agree with mr brown here. Mine never fails to make me smile even running like poop.
have moled on a 20vt a few time's but for the money I'd have a pretty pokey valver.

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

My AGU powered GTX with generic map (200bhp ish) is more than enough in a Rocco. - I have a LSD though which is SO important on a conversion like this. it puts the power down very well. - I recently went out in a mates 20vt mk3 with an AGU, but no LSD in his gearbox and the level of grip was terrible in the first 3 gears. Pointless having ht power if you cant put it down.

ABF is an easier conversion, but nothing quite beats the torque and grin factor of the 20vt. Mines drives like a new modern car in terms of mpg (40mpg) and no increase of noise over the std engine, and every bit as refined as stock.

I still run on OEM management so diagnostics isnt an issue either..

Motorsport is my passion.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

When working out costs, don't forget to factor in the custom brackets, new gearbox and linkage, etc.

No doubt a turbo lump has more power. I always found a tuned 8v or stick ABF was plenty quick enough for the road.

I have a couple of spare EG lumps kicking around I think - might need a refresh though, and might know where there's an ex Gp1 race one coming up.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Dont tell anyone I said this but, I've always been a fan of a decent 2.0L 8v with a cam! Great B-road car. Especially with a low ratio box.

Cost wise, mounts, intercooler, wiring, all the bits that make sense to replace during a conversion, the 20vt route does add up.. I did mine bit by bit when I could afford to. Took 2 years. 1 collecting parts and planning, 1 with the execution of said plan!

Motorsport is my passion.