Slow cranking 16v kr

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brave

Slow cranking 16v kr

Post by Brave »

So iv got this strange problem when trying to start my kr, it turns over slowly then quickens up, then sounds like it's catching on something and almost stops,(not in this order just dead randomly). Tried two starters, server all battery's with boosters ect. I did rebuild it, and stupidly times it up to the wrongs marker on the flywheel (btdc) but now it's right. I havnt really had time to mess with it, but is this typical of bad connections(earths ect)?
And also is there like a base timing for the dizzy as currently it doesn't even want to try and fire no matter how much I mess with the dizzy timing,

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Slow cranking 16v kr

Post by monzajake »

That sounds very similar to im when first built. Turned out to be the timing and the earth lead on the gearbox mount, stupidly I painted the mount causing a poor earth.

Brave

Post by Brave »

Timing from crank to head or dizzy timing. I'm going to take off all the starter stuff and clean up all the connections I think and try from there. I may even put an earth strap straight to the battery. This has also been painted prior to my ownership

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

Id start with dizzy timing first. You got the ht leads correct way ?

Brave

Post by Brave »

Yes mate, as far as I can tell, but I may have to have another look and just confirm. After my stupid crack timing issue nothing would surprise me ATM haha