1.6 GT - Dent Repair and rebuild

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

1.6 GT - Dent Repair and rebuild

Post by MikeH »

I bought this one from this very forum about a year ago. I thought it looked a decent car apart from a couple of problems - the most obvious one being the big dent in the side.

I think it's pretty solid, only 69k miles and a previous respray that was badly masked up, but the paint is pretty shiny.

My tame panel beater has been very busy last year, with, among other things, a rebuild on a Dodge Charger General Lee replica including a new roof and lots of panel repairs. Anyway, he's finally free and got on with the job, so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

I'm sure I took more pics when I bought it, but I can't find them right now. Here's pics of the damage repair for now.

Apparently the previous owner's mum drove into it on their drive.

Needs a little repair on the rear arch as well. Not too bad though, and I have a repair panel.

It didn't have this dent when I bought it - I gave it a little nudge reversing into the barn in the Black ABF'd Scirocco #TW4T

So I spent a saturday stripping it out inside so that the panel man could get to the dented bits… and after he'd worked on it…

The filler is just the thinnest of skims - so thin you can see through it in a lot of places.

The rear quarter was fairly easy, I'm told, but the door was hard. If you look at the 'before' pics, you can see that the door frame is twisted at the back edge.

So I got some 2-pack primer on it to seal it up for now, and should get it painted as soon as I've repaired the arch - sometime in the next month.

I'm really pleased with the way it came out. Next job is to finish off the body work. The front engine mount has been bodged as well, when one of the captive nuts broke loose, so need to fix that as well. I'll get started once I've finished putting the daily audi back together - new front end panels, paint, and suspension rebuild.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Reverend Frog
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1.6 GT - Dent Repair and rebuild

Post by Reverend Frog »

Lovely stuff, a bit like a Mark H restoration back in the day

i am always pleased to see the more ordinary-specced Sciroccos just being returned to serviceable condition again.

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I like it - Mars red suits the non-bodykit cars I think. I didn't like the early Mk2s when they came out - probably because they're not as pretty as a Mk1, in my mind. However, time moves on and they're getting scarce now, and I think the design somehow looks better now than when it was new.

I was thinking of chucking in a 16v on twin 40s, as I got most of the bits with it, but the funny thing is, it's probably worth just as much with a 1.6 carb engine, as more people can afford to insure it, and it'll use about half the fuel of the tuned option. Ultimately I think I'll be selling this one on, but I'll probably play with it for a year first - depends how much I like it.

My tame panel beater is looking for work if anyone in the Thames Valley or surrounding area is looking to get some dents fixed.
Last edited by MikeH on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
Reverend Frog
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Reverend Frog »

MikeH wrote:My tame panel beater is looking for work if anyone in the Thames Valley or surrounding area is looking to get some dents fixed.
any time he's in belfast tell him to give us a shout!

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Unlikely I'm afraid :D

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Looks great Mike, your tame panel beater is very talented, really impressive and as said above, great to see a lesser spec model being worked on. Looking forward to more news on this one.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Well, a month has passed, and I haven't touched it - I have rebuilt and resprayed the front end of the daily Audi in that time, and I've been doing some welding on the Mk1 Rocco race car project, so I've not been sitting around watching the telly… but I'll try to get on with it on the May bank holiday weekend.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

Hi
You bought this from me.
Just got round to scoping forums to see if its on one. As I lost my phone and all yoyr details soon after selling and was going to ask to be kept updated as I really loved that car ( bought it on my 18th birthday and named it winston as a 1984 reference )
Im really happy to see its getting the love it deserves.
Yes it was my mother that reversed into the side of it ! (Bad day)
I have some pictures of it when you bought it if you would like me to upload them or send them to you and also have some of when I bought it at 28k miles

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I've got plenty of pictures of it, as it is now, but if you want to upload some more from when you bought it I've got no issue with it, and I'm sure people would be happy to see them.

You can buy it back when I'm finished it, if you like ;o) It'll be a 1.6 carb, most likely.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I should get back onto this next week - the daily driver Audi is back on the road, and through the MOT. I painted the front end too...

Yes that's the Mk1 racer project still on the spit in the background. Done some of the welding now!

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

I will actually buy it back when the time comes !
Heres a few pics and ill find more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

Another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

And again

Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

Again

Slash125

Post by Slash125 »

Ah now I see