Do I bike Carb?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrP

Do I bike Carb?

Post by MrP »

I'm halfway into doint my 16v KR conversion and I went to see a old mate last night who i've not seen for over a year.. He showed me his ABF'd Jetta on bike carbs! Wow is all I can say!

I've been looking into the expenses of this and well, it actually turns out cheaper to use bike carbs then the injection system (for the parts anyway!)

They look cool in the engine bay, they sound the nuts and the extra BHP is always good.. But i've heard problems about getting them set up and the constant fiddling, also the poor MPG.. Now are these just myths because of people not getting them set up properly. A few people who have had them set-up are claiming 25-30mpg which won't be too far off a proberly set up 16v.

Also my views are that the k-jet inj system is pants anyway, loads of little vacuum things to go wrong and lots of little electrical niggles can cause similar problems with poor running. Same kind of issues as bike carbs i think?

What are peoples views and experiences on bike carbs?

eamon1.3

Re: Do I bike Carb?

Post by eamon1.3 »

I dont know much about setting them up, or economy, anything important really, but for the sound alone they are worth it

MrP

Post by MrP »

eamon1.3 wrote:I dont know much about setting them up, or economy, anything important really, but for the sound alone they are worth it
Yeah, thats what everyone says! Setting up i'll get it done properly for what it'll cost! Installation should be easy as it's mainly improvising to get them to fit.

filmidget
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by filmidget »

I have a similar dilema for my caged track-orientated 16v Rocco. Like yours mine already has an alloy tank in the spare wheel well too, although mine is already plumbed and wired for carbs (originally being K-jet though).

Would you stick with the 16v ignition, or go programmable?

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
MrP

Post by MrP »

filmidget wrote:I have a similar dilema for my caged track-orientated 16v Rocco. Like yours mine already has an alloy tank in the spare wheel well too, although mine is already plumbed and wired for carbs (originally being K-jet though).

Would you stick with the 16v ignition, or go programmable?
Stick with 16v ignition, for the time being (damn student budget :crying: )

The plan was to use bike carbs with the bike fuel pump (keeping the original in-tank). That way I don't have the trouble of messing with fuel pressure or a regulator. (or the higher cost)

This will be done on a poor student budget so will hopefully be able to buy all the related parts with the money I get selling the K-jet fueling things.

People have easily achieved 170-180 bhp (and more importantly) 160 FtLb using a 2.0 bottom end using bike carbs/pump and KR ignition. I think that's more than enough to kill myeslf :hugegrin:

What's the advantage on using a programmable ignition?

Nate

Post by Nate »

MrP wrote: What's the advantage on using a programmable ignition?
umm, it's programmable :scratch:

gives you more available tweakery. setting up quad carbs properly is quite a skill. it'd be quite easy to speedboat it up

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MrP

Post by MrP »

Nate wrote:
MrP wrote: What's the advantage on using a programmable ignition?
umm, it's programmable :scratch:

gives you more available tweakery. setting up quad carbs properly is quite a skill. it'd be quite easy to speedboat it up
Where can i get programmable ignition set ups?

Nate

Post by Nate »

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Niall

Post by Niall »

MrP wrote:
They look cool in the engine bay,
Does any body have any photos? I'm quite interested by this concept

MrP

Post by MrP »

Messy bay, but you get the idea,

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

MrP - are you a poor student by any chance?? lol..
I looked into this, they have good gains, and sound superb (like all carbs)! plus think of all that RAM AIR with them being at the front of the engine :hugegrin:
Get a decent company to set them up, with the correct jets and you'll be fine. Bogg Brothers are the guys to speak to about bike carb conversions, they will give you a good starting point for Jetting, and can supply you a manifold if you have enough cash ~ £250 i think they wanted when i asked but the waiting list was about 10weeks.... When i jetted mine for a 2.0l 8v vauxhall, they recommended starting with 165 main jets (sourced from ebay for £5). If you go for R1 carbs (40mm ports) i can give you a handy guide how to jet & service them yourself. Never got them fitted in the end, as sold the project b4 i got it running, so wouldnt know about MPGs... guessing 25-30 will be possible tho. Get a FPR, then you can use all of the standard pumps in your car... thats what i'd do anyway.
Hope this helps.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Rocco-Matt

Post by Rocco-Matt »

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Look what im doing at the moment...

I was gunna do a thread of the build once its running after the weekend,, but ive just started making the manifolds for the conversion.

£110 for the manifold which is very good compared to the 200 that bogbros what for there one, PM if your interested.

Cheers Matt