Car covers

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
rocco robin
fill in the right answer: 10

Car covers

Post by rocco robin »

Hi all does anyone keep there rocco under a water proof cover? And if they do what make do you use
I am struggling to find one that fits snugg
Any help apriciated

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Car covers

Post by ianaudia4 »

I bought one a few months ago for my Scala, bought it from Euro Car Parts for about £27, I measured the length of the car and chose the closest fit.
One thing I do use though is bungees, just to give it some added staying power!!!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

I got scared off when reading up on them. Too loose no good, too 'fitted' no good. Has to be breathable, absolutely no dirt whatsoever on car before fitting or no good, can hold condensation so wet underneath when dry outside... Minefield!

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Yes, they do need to have a bit of air flow under them, the cover I have does get plenty sitting on my drive!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Used on of these for four years until the foxes finally destroyed it. http://www.classicadditions.com/lightwe ... hable.html

Recommended and I will buy another when I have to have a car parked up outside again.

Combine with http://www.frost.co.uk/air-dry-for-car.html if you are not using regularly.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

They're not cheap, but I can heartily recommend Halfords own make car covers for use outside (grey coloured material)

I've used these for the last couple of years on my other car that lives outside and never had any issues with condensation, leaks or marking of the paintwork. Always found them a snug fit as they have elasticated corners, but they also come with two secure straps stitched on that go under the car and hasten together with robust snap-together plastic buckles.

I think these start at about £40 for the smallest, but they're well worth the money compared with the cheapo ones I used to use.

james butler

Post by james butler »

I have one on a car that's now got rust where it never had before because I didn't prepare it.
It is essential to get the car clean and polished/ waxed before you put the cover on.
You can also get dust sheets to go between the car and cover to help protect it.
One more thing, make sure you put moisture absorbers in the car boot and footwells or you will end up with a mouldy dash and carpets!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
rocco robin

Post by rocco robin »

Cheers boys the best one I had was for my mini was a voyager cover was like putting on a mini shaped jumper perfect fut but cost £70 and they don't do them for the rocco

Nate

Post by Nate »

I had wondered if fitting a roofrack to the car before putting the cover on would help keep it off the paintwork and let air circulate. I think I may have been drinking at the time though

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
james butler

Post by james butler »

Tell you what Nate that's actually not a bad idea. I use foam pipe insulation to keep it off my cars body work. It's quite cheap to buy and doesn't scratch the paint.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ive been toying with putting a roof rack on my bus and then attaching some form of roof to the roofrack to keep the worst of the weather off it

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

I wanted a cover to keep the worst of the rain off my 205 cabriolet as the roof isnt exactly watertight but didnt want something that covered the whole car and was a pain to take on and off.

Got a 2m x2m tarp and used these and some bungee cords.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003ASPKYK

They grip the tarp really well. So for about £10 ive got a cover that takes a minute to fit and stayed on through the strong winds recently.

May come in handy holding any covers on that you decide to use.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If your roof is leaking on the 205 worth getting it replaced, a sound investment to keep the inside of the car dry.
My golf cabriolet lives outside all year round and I replaced the roof a couple of years ago after trying to keep the rain out with gaffer tape! Wished I did it before that point as wet carpets don't smell good and my roof frame needed some repairs as that was rusting away nicely.
I can recommend this company, great quality roofs at a good price, get some new tension cables. Took a weekend to do at a steady pace with tea breaks, I'm sure there must be guide on the internet to replacing your roof.
http://www.car-hood.co.uk/content.php?n ... 28&pID=445

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
rocco robin

Post by rocco robin »

Thanku for your advise peeps
I have ordered a car dehumidifier and a breathable car cover not had chance to check for fit waiting for a dry day so will let you know how I get on in the summer :)

DJCarlos

Post by DJCarlos »

rocco robin wrote:Cheers boys the best one I had was for my mini was a voyager cover was like putting on a mini shaped jumper perfect fut but cost £70 and they don't do them for the rocco
Yeah they do - I've got one in me garage for a Mark 2!

Cost me about £80 including the cable and padlock to secure under the car, and I put it on the Chariot religiously every night for at least a week.......