Going Lower- what's needed & whats good?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
crashbanggg
fill in the right answer: 15

Going Lower- what's needed & whats good?

Post by crashbanggg »

I know there are lots of threads on suspension/ lowering, but it all seems a bit of a minefield so I thought i'd start afresh!

The standard suspension on my '92 GT2 is starting to get a bit tired, so I am looking to replace it and lowering it 30/40mm ish at the same time. Due to being a skint student, I only really want to spend £200 at the absolute most. So what would be my best option for doing it at this price?

I've seen these 'Sports suspension': http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sport-Suspens ... 3f1337b43a

These coilovers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coilover-Golf ... 3a81caf176

And I guess there is the possibility of second hand stuff? Would any of these be viable options? ...Or would I just be f******** up my car by using any of these?

And once I have decided which to go for, what tools/ equipment would I need? I will probably be having to get my dad to bring it all up from home to my student house so a comprehensive list would be good to save forgetting anything!

Cheers

Chris

1992 GT2
Niall
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Going Lower- what's needed & whats good?

Post by Niall »

Speaking as someone who drove on cheap eBay coilies for over a year. I would recommend investing in a branded set. Ride quality suffers alot.

Tim_R
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Tim_R »

If you can only budget £200, I'd be thinking about putting that into buying new standard spec parts. E.g. new febi topmounts, new bumpstops front and back and some decent but not expensive dampers like boge turbogas ones and new bolts for the rear damper bottom mounts, they will have rusted in place if the dampers are original. Also a lower front strut brace will help hugely. After all that get the tracking and camber done and enjoy.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

We've got a complete buyer's guide coming up soon.

Basically, get the best you can for the money. If it's a toss up between good shocks and springs vs cheap collies then go Shocks and springs, if you can save a bit more and want to hit the car with a dose of the lows and don't want to sacrifice ride quality go mid/top end collies.

Rule of thumb: buy nice or buy twice

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.