how to get the most power out of a gt-2

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brave

how to get the most power out of a gt-2

Post by Brave »

this has probably been asked so many times, which i am sorry about if it has!
i have a 1800 carbed gt2, and i wondered about the best gains you can do, on the standard engine,
i have kr'ed one already, but i dont want to mess about with this one too much, i would just like a bit more chirp,

aside from brakes and suspension mods, and getting it running absolutely perfect, what can you do to the standard engine to get a wee bit more power?

fanks!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: how to get the most power out of a gt-2

Post by mark1gls »

I think a cam shaft out of a Gti, DX engine car will help give it a little more go.
I think there is 2 types, one with hydrolic tappets and one with shims, not sure which one you will need.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Differnet exhaust manifold if you have the toilet bowl/C clip type, either a manifold from a eairly Golf Gti, 6 stud bolt on down pipe type. 4 to 1 exhuast manifold.
Don't know if they do make much differance but if not you will never need to buy another air filter, a K&N panel filter which lives inside your air box.

Still thinking!
Last edited by mark1gls on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brave

Post by Brave »

ok mate cheers, at least that puts me in the right direction to start looking!

Brave

Post by Brave »

im pretty much under the impression that filters and exhausts dont really gain you power, they just free up flow for when you get more power?

james butler

Post by james butler »

i have the 6 stud exhaust manifold bolted up to a straight through middle pipe which then goes to a jetex middle box.
i think it does make a bit of difference as i have less power below 2000rpm but more above as before i had more low down power than a smoother amount across the rev range.
i have standard air box and filter. the only good thing about a k&n is you only eveer buy one.
however i get paper filters for £2 a time so cheaper just to keep changing them.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

It really depends on how much you want to spend...

I'd look to upgrade the exhaust when you can. Don't go believing the manufacturers' claims though.

Cheap way...
Injection head and cam (block off the injector holes with pennies), dx dizzy, skim 0.5mm off the head, rejet carb. - 100bhp and 35-40 mpg

Middle way...
As above but get a 270-ish aftermarket cam(£200 new £100 used) instead of the DX one. Rejet the carb for max benefit. 110 bhp and slightly less mpg

Expensive way
As above but 270 cam and ported head (£400 for Std Valves, £1000 for bigger inlet and exhaust valves). 120-130 bhp and 30-35mpg

Really Expensive way
Forged rods and pistons (£1000), Skim head to 12.5:1 Cr and port with larger valves both sides (£1000), 300*cam, solid lifters, longer stronger valve springs, titanium caps (£1000) twin weber 45s, manifold, linkage, trumpets K&Nfilters, etc (£1000). Rebuilt gearbox with LSD (£1000) Rolling road setup (£3-500) 170-180 bhp. 15-20 mpg

Of course you'd get as much power as 'really expensive way' with an ABF, mild cams, and remapped digi management or an aftermarket system like Megasquirt, and still get 30-35 mpg

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Brave

Post by Brave »

i like the sound of the cheap way best haha, can you give me an engine code for an injection engine (or is it a dx engine?)
is this tried and tested? what size jets for the carb, standard pooburg up to the challenge?

just out of curiosity my friend took the head off a mk3 1.8 monopoint injection engine, will this do the dutys?
would it be worth shaving the hedghog and giving the head a port and polish?

any info/figures/codes would help me greatly! thanks!

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Brave wrote:i like the sound of the cheap way best haha, can you give me an engine code for an injection engine (or is it a dx engine?)
is this tried and tested? what size jets for the carb, standard pooburg up to the challenge?

just out of curiosity my friend took the head off a mk3 1.8 monopoint injection engine, will this do the dutys?

Mike knows his sheet.
I've got one sat in the car in the yard. If you want the head you can have it dirt cheap plus postage, be quick though as I'll binning the car Monday.

Obviously I mean engine head, not an actual head.

That's in the fridge

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
TheMoleKing
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by TheMoleKing »

This thread has started making me think about my GT2....

If you're not interested Brave I'll take the head please Funk, but obviously only if you don't want it dude! Also have you sold the dizzy off Tharg Funk?

Thanks.

Brave

Post by Brave »

I wouldn't mind the head with cam and dizzee inbox me about prices if you can!

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Brave wrote:i like the sound of the cheap way best haha, can you give me an engine code for an injection engine (or is it a dx engine?)

Yes, DX engine

You could use your existing head too, just add the cam. The injection head will flow a wee bit better though.

@ Mr Funk... if I knew my 5h1t, I'd get on and build my track car, and the Mk1 Racer, rather than faffing about with other projects ;)

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Brave

Post by Brave »

and why is the dx dizzy used?
thanks very much im gonna try have this head off the above chap!

sorry to repeat but the pooburg up for the challenge? or will i need to get a webber?

Nate

Post by Nate »

The pierburg is actually a larger and far superior carb to the weber, but only when its set up right. And theres very few people left who know how to do them. Any idiot can get a weber carb set up more or less right, which is why they are popular

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Brave

Post by Brave »

I didn't know that... Any recommendations for places that can set them up?