Berthold the Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Jody
fill in the right answer: 15

Berthold the Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS

Post by Jody »

Hi all, I wanted to document the work I am have done to my 1981 Mk1 Scirocco and wondered if anyone else might be interested?

Most of the Work will be done by my good friend Andy Oldham who some of you might know?
This is his AMAZING build thread with his Mk1 Storm!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... one-Wild!!

In the past Andy has made things for me like Wish bones for my old Mk1 polo and worked on previous Mk1 Scirocco and a multitude of other VW's....... When you have excellent friends like this, who needs to be able to do it yourself! :vcool:

Berthold is my newest VW project, I have not been on the VW scene for a while but for me it all started way back in 1996 when I was lucky enough to get another friend to build and fit a Polo G40 engine into a Mk2 Polo Saloon (First Saloon G40 in the UK) and we won best engine in class and 2nd best car in class at GTI international in about 97. The car was featured in VW motoring as well! We had a lot of fun. :)
Since then I have had a Mk2 Golf Syncro (Swedish 1.8i import), Steve Morris's Home made UK Genesis G40, A windsor Blue G40, A Genesis G40 left hand drive Import, Mk1 Polo, Mk1 Scirocco in Riverblu met and a Mk2 golf GTi 8v in Capri Green. I am sure there are more but I forget right at this min or they don't count like the Audi A4 3.2TDi Quattro Avant I had for a while.
My wife and I also nurtured a polo3 hatch, Mk1 Golf GX and a 1966 Split Screen Camper oh and 2 Boys which is why I have been off the scene for a while, but I am pretty VW mad! ........And Supercharger MAD!

I have felt desperate to try and get back into it all and have been hunting for a decent Mk1 for a while, Older would of been cooler but condition and being able to have fun was more important!

Berthold

I have plans for this one and with Andy onboard I need to push the boat out a bit to make the most of all those skills and the Talent which he possesses!
I would of been mega happy with anything to be honest as long as it was clean and went well but having done things before I started to push the boat out and decided the engine needed to be affordable but be a little bit special.
A G60 was thought about but Andrew had lots of bits for a 1.8 20vT and talked me into it! (it did not take much lol)
BUT I am and always have been a Supercharger NUT! ... Sorry.... but I am so at this point in time the engine is set to be a 1.8 20v S !

I hope you will enjoy this build thread as much as I will.... I am so happy to be back on the scene and able to see all my VW friends of old! Roll on the Shows :)

Cheers ...Jody....
Last edited by Jody on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G60MAT
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Berthold the Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS

Post by G60MAT »

Welcome aboard! Looks like a great base and by the sounds of it won't stay standard for too long! ;)

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
Jody

Post by Jody »

The Engine cleaning and rebuilding has begun and I am starting to source parts as I sell other things on Ebay....

At Andrews Workshop :)

Jody

Post by Jody »

I'm a bit confused about the fact this 1981 has an early front panel, anyone got any ideas why? I wish it had the early wings as well :p

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Accident repair using whatever was available? You can still get early wings new from VW or pattern - neither are available in later style.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Jody

Post by Jody »

Interesting... Food for thought!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I checked and the wings you buy from VW are pattern parts made in Germany, not VW manufactured.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Jody

Post by Jody »

I forgot to mention that Berthold has been off the road and untaxed since 2006 and although its still untaxed and in the garage I am the proud owner of a GLS with 12 months MOT :)

I feel like I have really contributed to something already having added to the list of Mk1 Sci's on the road.... sort of!

Thanks to Chris Bishop from CWB Auto's for all your help !

http://www.cwbautosworcester.co.uk/

Winston

Post by Winston »

Looks a good base. :chill:

Planning on a 20V G60?

mark83

Post by mark83 »

Looks a great base for a project , look forward to the progress. What charger are you planning on using?

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
Jody

Post by Jody »

mark83 wrote:Looks a great base for a project , look forward to the progress. What charger are you planning on using?

mmmm I'm not really sure at this point, it depends on 2 factors. 1. What money I have left in the budget for it & 2. what is about at the time of purchase

We have been looking at Eaton M62's and even a Vortex, I am a fan of the 'G' thing (actually squashing and compressing the air) but it depends what BHP I can afford.

It would be cool to hear form people on what they use, costings etc. Whats the Max a G60 can safely charge and what BHP I'm likely to achieve with it on a 20v.

Does anyone have management and or Chargers for sale?

BTW I have 2 new acquisitions :ebay:

Wheels! YAY!
I'm going to get them down to see Elie, a friend from my Mk1 Polo days. He is going to sort out a referb for me one way or another :yup:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Voodoo-M ... 3256096273

Gearbox!
Mk3 Golf 020 CHD :hugegrin: I think its very tall but I am getting confused between ratios in UK box's and the US box's with the same codes. Does any one have any ideas if the US CHD and the UK CHD have the same ratios?

According to this chart on Scirocco.org at 7000 RPM I should have a top speed of 188MPH PMSL! —— AAAHHHH where are the breaks! :stop:

http://www.scirocco.org/gears/
ATH, DFP, CHD 3.67 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.91 0.75

bengould

Post by bengould »

Hi,

You may find this page useful...
http://www.a2resource.com/eandt/ratios.html

Ben

Jody

Post by Jody »

bengould wrote:Hi,

You may find this page useful...
http://www.a2resource.com/eandt/ratios.html

Ben

Hi Ben, Cheers for the Link. Is this website Canadian? I think their CHD box had different ratios and was fitted to Syncro's where as the UK MK3 golf with CHD code was very different????? Do you see where I am a little confused with this.

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Jody we went through this like a million times, this is why we picked this box!

1st - 3.46
2nd - 1.94
3rd - 1.28
4th - 0.91
5th - 0.75
f/d - 3.67

mph per 1000rpm in 5th : 24mph

Anyways your head is nearly back together, and I'll say this, there is a special vat of acid reserved for whoever decided to cram 3 intake valves in an 81mm bore, the tappets are weeny and trying to get the collets on the valves would test the patience of James May!

The money shots:

Jody

Post by Jody »

Cool! This is why I let you do all this stuff Andy!
Ref the Gearbox the specs on the CHD box's in the US & Canada seem to be different to ours? The Canadian CHD seems to be off a Passat Syncro or something.

Also the guy in the scrap yard I went to in Craven Arms to pic it up said, off the cuff that some of the old Montego and Maestro box's were the same as the 020!
That's quite a lot of people who have said that now.

That head looks clean! Good going Dude! Very nice.

Whats next? :hugegrin: