20vt or pd150+hybrid

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
shaun_89
fill in the right answer: 10

20vt or pd150+hybrid

Post by shaun_89 »

Im looking to do a conversion to my rocco but i cant decide wether to go 20vt or pd150 w/ a hybrid.
Ive drove in my mates mk4 golf gttdi with a hybrid that made 221bhp/355lbft and that made me open my eyes to diesel as its genuinely fast. But im guessing so will be a 20vt, i dont want to ruin the handling of the rocco.

Any suggestions/opinions welcome

thanks

Mr Funk

Re: 20vt or pd150+hybrid

Post by Mr Funk »

I'm no expert but I think the 20vt would be slightly easier. I went in a mk2 golf conversion with 290 bhp on Saturday, it was utterly utterly mental.
Still quite drive able and still getting fairly great mpg

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
shaun_89

Post by shaun_89 »

Mr Funk wrote:I'm no expert but I think the 20vt would be slightly easier. I went in a mk2 golf conversion with 290 bhp on Saturday, it was utterly utterly mental.
Still quite drive able and still getting fairly great mpg
Thats good to hear, i wold miss the sound of a petrol but i imagine a roco diesel would make a great all rounder. Will try and find someone whos willing to take me out in either exapmle to experience it.

Thanks for the advice

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Have a look at what this chap is doing. Should be of some interest to you mate.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php ... highlight=

wassell

Post by wassell »

i toyed with this idea a few months back. If it was power and fun i was going for it'd be the 20vt, specially as the rocco is my 3rd car so doesnt need to be economical. but the densel would be brilliant in a rocco, specially if it was a main car. even with the pd150 as stock the rocco would fly. all that torque low down would be very nice.

price up the two conversions, then consider the re-sale value of them both. if theres not much in it, i'd go densel.

aaron
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by aaron »

i cant comment on the diesel but two of my cousins have mk2 golfs with the 20v and they are ballistic at around 220 bhp, but the engine is good for a lot more if your willing to chuck the money into it, looking forward to seeing the end result.

essextom

Post by essextom »

have a look at the qpeng.co.uk they do diy kits for 1.8t conversions, looks easy to do. im doing a 20v conversion later this year hopefully.