Handbrake very poor

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
seanr68
fill in the right answer: 10

Handbrake very poor

Post by seanr68 »

The handbrake has been pants since i got it a year and half ago, so a couple of months ago i fitted new shoes and new retaining springs/clips,etc, etc.
I chocked the wheels, released the handbrake and pressed the brake pedal a couple of times to take up the shoes, then i took up the slack in the cables. However, the handbrake was still not as good as i feel it should be. On hills i really have to pull the handbrake lever to get any real purchase on the brake, otherwise it will roll. Now, the handbrake wants adjusting again and its almost out of thread to adjust the cables sufficiently. I've ordered two new cables but i fear this will not remedy the lack of purchase the handbrake gives, as when i adjusted the cables previously the brake was still poor.
Any ideas or is it just a case of rocco handbrakes been bad and i'll have to live with it?
Cheers :dunno:

PeteGLi

Re: Handbrake very poor

Post by PeteGLi »

There is no problem with Rocco handbrakes, which should bite between two and four clicks of the lever.
Obviously the cables do stretch and once there is no longer any adjustment, will then need replacing.
Have you replaced your cables?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You need to adjust the brake shoes not the cable, losen the cable back off, take the wheels off, look in the drum through the wheel bolt hole and find the brake shoe adjuster (looks like a wedge) poke a small screw driver in there and pull the wedge down to adjust up the shoes. Try to get the wheels to lock up on 1 to 2 click on the handbrake but still not bind when spinning the wheel.

You will also find the foot brake is ALOT better by doing this.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Just been and fitted 2 x quinton hazell cables and 2 x QH brake cylinders. Cleaned all the drums, bled brakes and put it all back together. Works a treat now. I am a bit red with all this sun we're having though! :hugegrin:
I think the problem was a combination off a duff cable and brake cylinders that looked 20 years old.
Happy now though...thanks again. :beers:

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad you got it all sorted. :good:

The rear wheel cyinders are only operated by the foot brake not the hand brake.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

mark1gls wrote:Glad you got it all sorted. :good:

The rear wheel cyinders are only operated by the foot brake not the hand brake.
Yeah, they just looked a bit old and crusty(bit like me)so i thought i'd get new ones in there. Besides, the bloody bleed nipples were seized as well. :ire:

Nate

Post by Nate »

mark1gls wrote:You need to adjust the brake shoes not the cable, losen the cable back off, take the wheels off, look in the drum through the wheel bolt hole and find the brake shoe adjuster (looks like a wedge) poke a small screw driver in there and pull the wedge down to adjust up the shoes. Try to get the wheels to lock up on 1 to 2 click on the handbrake but still not bind when spinning the wheel.

You will also find the foot brake is ALOT better by doing this.
you will need to get a gimp to stand on the brake pedal for you, or you won't get the wedge to move

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3