brake disks

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

brake disks

Post by james butler »

thought i would change my brake pads today as they sounded like they were grinding into the metal backing pads. took the wheels off and was confronted with disks that looked like this! :swoon:
needless to say i got some new ones made by pagid for £30
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: brake disks

Post by ianaudia4 »

Ah, grooved, drilled and cracked!
Glad to hear you noticed before it was a disaster.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Nate

Post by Nate »

what were the pads like? the cracks on there own shouldn't give you noise

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
james butler

Post by james butler »

pads were knackerd aswell big chunks out of the leading edge. the cracks felt raised as you run your nail over them. just really glad i found it when i did.
maybe the heat as the brakes were applied opened up the cracks as i was driving giving me the vibration. gentle braking you wouldnt really notice but if you gave them a firm press i got a grinding through the brake pedal.
good news is its driving sweet now its got new pads and disks.

james butler

Post by james butler »

i dont know if its because the old stuff was knackered but i have to emphasize how much better my brakes are now i have new pads and disks. the bite of the brakes is right at the top of the pedal and feels great, no spongeness and as to be expected better braking overall with less effort on the pedal (then i suppose im stating the obvious).

any one experiencing crap brakes really has to try just replacing pads and disks with oem parts, i am really quite shocked at the difference and it only cost me £45.
to compare i had drilled and grooved disks with green stuff pads and they were worse than the cheaper origenal stuff im running now.
the disks are made by pagid and the pads are standard ferodo pads for anyone wanting the same setup.
james

AndyRocco

Post by AndyRocco »

james butler wrote:i dont know if its because the old stuff was knackered but i have to emphasize how much better my brakes are now i have new pads and disks. the bite of the brakes is right at the top of the pedal and feels great, no spongeness and as to be expected better braking overall with less effort on the pedal (then i suppose im stating the obvious).

any one experiencing crap brakes really has to try just replacing pads and disks with oem parts, i am really quite shocked at the difference and it only cost me £45.
to compare i had drilled and grooved disks with green stuff pads and they were worse than the cheaper origenal stuff im running now.
the disks are made by pagid and the pads are standard ferodo pads for anyone wanting the same setup.
james

Cheers James,

just ordered same parts, defo cant be any worse than they already are!!

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

How much were the ferodo pads and where did you get them from?

Cheers

Rich

Chris6969

Post by Chris6969 »

Whatever you do, DON'T buy drilled brakes again. They over heat and are useless as they have no cooling method at all

Roxanne the Rocco
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

:shocking:

I will be purchasing Pagid disks and pads soon, take it you bought from Carparts for less? seems to correspond with the price you mention.

I've read great things about Ferodo, prices are higher for a better product I suppose. I'm quite happy to use Pagid for both.I used to drive Polo's with no brake servo so have never found the Servo assisted Scirocco brakes a problem. I've even considered swapping a bigger Mk2 Golf GTI servo on there if it fits?

EDIT: Sorry I miss read as above you got Ferodo Pads for how much? and where? if you don't mind us asking.

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

I got the pagid discs even cheaper from eurocarparts ebay store as there was some offer.

I paid £25 for some ferodo pads but I've got vauxhaull 256mm brakes.

james butler

Post by james butler »

Sorry for late reply dozzum.
I got the disks for 24 quid
The pads were 21
All from euro car parts.
Price may have changed by now so best check em out online