1.6 heads

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rob_pandy

1.6 heads

Post by rob_pandy »

the head on ajays mk1 rocco 1.6 has a problem, its a early one with the water outlet to the rad on left hand side between number 1 and 2 plugs. he been given a later 1.6 head from a mk2 golf but the water outlet is between number 3 and 4 plugs, can he use this headn or is it completely wrong. thanks in advance rob

big nick
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.6 heads

Post by big nick »

the head will bolt up to the block and work just fine.. only thing you need to worry about is the top coolant hose - if it was me i'd get the hose to match the head but if you have scissors and some metal/pvc pipe you can get creative and chop & route the hose any which way you like : )

do I really want a carb'd valver? answers on a postcard...
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.6 heads

Post by mark1gls »

I thought 1.6 heads have the water outlet between 1-2 and 1.8 heads 3-4 ?

So could it be a 1.8 head?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323