Sills for post face lift mk1

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
abmcd

Sills for post face lift mk1

Post by abmcd »

Hello everyone, I've used this forum for ages but never needed to post anything as a quick search usually delivered the goods!

Does anyone know if the outer sills for the pre 77 face lift mk1 will fit the later version? I ask because my 78 GLS went to the menders yesterday and last night I found two sills on ebay for the earlier model. The seller seems to think they won't fit but I thought I'd try the forum to get a second opinion. Whatever happens the car will need new sills so any advice on where to get new ones from would also be very helpful!

Thanks very much!

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Sills for post face lift mk1

Post by the edmundator »

I've been told they fit with only very minor adjustment necessary.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

sorry for the hijack, but on a similar theme - how similar or not are mk1 goof sills?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

Beevers auto panels have the sills you require. Ordered one last Friday for delivery next day. Not bad at all for £29.00 odd.

To answer you question I am pretty certain there is no difference between series1 and 2 mk1 sills.

abmcd

Post by abmcd »

To update this thread, I got the sills from ebay for 40 quid and was pleased as punch!

Unfortunately the bodywork chap said that he couldn't do anything with them! So that would suggest that there must be a difference. Oh well, there are some nice new ones on there now and I might have the beautiful thing back on the road by the end of the decade!

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

abmcd wrote:To update this thread, I got the sills from ebay for 40 quid and was pleased as punch!

Unfortunately the bodywork chap said that he couldn't do anything with them!
What reason did he give?

I would think about changing bodyshops if the reason is not a very, very good one!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

abmcd wrote:To update this thread, I got the sills from ebay for 40 quid and was pleased as punch!

Unfortunately the bodywork chap said that he couldn't do anything with them! So that would suggest that there must be a difference. Oh well, there are some nice new ones on there now and I might have the beautiful thing back on the road by the end of the decade!
Which ones - VAG or Pattern - got any pics?

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Surprised the bodyshop chap couldn't fit the early set, there is not much difference.

Mk1 Golf sills: never done it, but likely a bit of work to fit. bodywork around the rear edge of the door is completely different and different profile arch. But the very bottom to meet the floor may be made to work

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
Tee3

Post by Tee3 »

Mk1 Golf Sills are totally different apart from the bit that meets the floor

Scirocco one curve down then theres a hard angle where the sill folds under, Golf ones curve all the way under

:)