New member: 75 Nepal Orange

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
thaidub

New member: 75 Nepal Orange

Post by thaidub »

Hi,

I was introduced to this forum by mr.brown and GTXTRA. Thank you again for getting me signed up.

Here's my baby. A '75 Scirocco in Nepal Orange. It's still on going process. Will it ever be finished? I don't know but I am really enjoy building this car. I took over this project from my good friend. He'd done a lot already when I picked it up. Have to give him credits. I only have to make it perfect.

Some basic info.
- VIN no. 5352021868. According to ETKA, should be manufactured in December 1974.
- This has all the early goodies like twin wipers, different rear quarter windows, etc.
- Repainted in Nepal Orange
- KW V2 suspension
- mk2 brake setup with rear discs.
- high lift cam (don't have the specs).

On my to do list..
1. EDP plated all parts needed: bumper brackets, suspension parts, handbrake, etc...
2. Refurbish BBS RS. I plan to put ET25 in the front and ET16 in the rear. May be ET16 lips on ET38 wheels. That might give me close to 8" width with ET20+. Just a thought. And oh, they will be in pale gold.
3. this might need a help from you guys... I need center a/c vent. The one in place of the ashtray. If any of you have one laying around, please let me know.
4. Tune this carb, enlarge the main jet to cope with the new cam.
5. Fit new carpet.
6. Look for original front seats
7. Fix minor cosmetic issues.
8. Swap front discs and calipers for vented discs and mk2 big calipers. This is to complete the whole brake system upgrade.
9. Fit short shift kit.

thaidub

Re: New member: 75 Nepal Orange

Post by thaidub »

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Simply awesome - now start a thread in the Projects and Restoration section and show everyone all the work that went into this :yup:

Quick point about no.8 - the brake conversion - are you planning to go with the 16v Scirocco set-up - i.e. 256mm/10.1 inch discs?

thaidub

Post by thaidub »

nah.. the story is my friend (P/O) had rear discs conversion with master cylinder and servo from a mk2 but front were still stock. He told me that the car has a problem with locked front brakes so I guess it is because the master cylinder size is too big for small calipers. I just happen to have a pair of Girling calipers I've kept for a while and he gave me a new pair of 239 vented disc. So that it is gonna be.

I will just wait until I have all suspension parts I took from my 77 rocco refurbished and have them swapped with this car. It is good to be able to work on another set of parts while enjoy riding the car.

Will started a restoration post as suggested.

Cpt Custom

Post by Cpt Custom »

Welcome aboard. :hi: Not finished? Looks pretty damned perfect to me! :hugegrin:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
MCBailey

Post by MCBailey »

This car is absolutely gorgeous!

Was looking through one of your threads on another forum just earlier and I must agree with the above poster. It is looking pretty good to me!
Don't know if this is what you meant but BBS also stock their own original BBS Gold colour which is a pale gold so you might want to try contacting them to get hold of some of that?

Front seats that you have are awesome I'd just get the backs trimmed to match and keep them, very jealous of them!

Looking forward to seeing even more of this car and if you ever want rid of your TV lights at the front there...give me a bell! :P

thaidub

Post by thaidub »

MCBailey wrote:This car is absolutely gorgeous!

Was looking through one of your threads on another forum just earlier and I must agree with the above poster. It is looking pretty good to me!
Don't know if this is what you meant but BBS also stock their own original BBS Gold colour which is a pale gold so you might want to try contacting them to get hold of some of that?

Front seats that you have are awesome I'd just get the backs trimmed to match and keep them, very jealous of them!

Looking forward to seeing even more of this car and if you ever want rid of your TV lights at the front there...give me a bell! :P
Thank you very much for kind words.
If you are looking for TV lights, you can check out the vw classic parts website. http://www.vw-classicparts.de/ They still carry those at 50 euro each. I hope VW expands their classic parts section bringing back all those obsolete parts. It'd make restoring much more fun.

I'm still not sure which style I want this to be. All stock or with some twist. The seats are nice and comfy but I still linger to have the original seats. Are they hard to find in the UK? I have someone who can help me with shipping but I have to find them first.

zyclamvw

Post by zyclamvw »

Hey Hi!
Car looks great, there is a '76 like yours in the autostadt at Wolfsburg!! Great colour, is that the colour it was originally?
I too have a '75 it's a lagoon blue TS, but it's in bits at the moment!!
I'm interested that you mentioned EKTA as I've had no joy whatsoever trying to find part numbers on it, do you recon you can help?
It's because VW has released a whole load of nos parts through its own classic parts scheme, but you have to have a part no to see if they have any stock
It'd be interesting just to see what they have!
Seat covers is one thing that may be there, and I feel it's the only way you are going to find orange tartan!!
I'm Interested and exterior trim parts , window trim and gutter trim etc, as it seem a shame to put old stuff back on a freshly restored ( with VW panels no less!!) car
Are there many old vw's in Thailand?

thaidub

Post by thaidub »

zyclamvw wrote:Hey Hi!
Car looks great, there is a '76 like yours in the autostadt at Wolfsburg!! Great colour, is that the colour it was originally?
I too have a '75 it's a lagoon blue TS, but it's in bits at the moment!!
I'm interested that you mentioned EKTA as I've had no joy whatsoever trying to find part numbers on it, do you recon you can help?
It's because VW has released a whole load of nos parts through its own classic parts scheme, but you have to have a part no to see if they have any stock
It'd be interesting just to see what they have!
Seat covers is one thing that may be there, and I feel it's the only way you are going to find orange tartan!!
I'm Interested and exterior trim parts , window trim and gutter trim etc, as it seem a shame to put old stuff back on a freshly restored ( with VW panels no less!!) car
Are there many old vw's in Thailand?
This car was originally red. PO asked me what color should this car be and I said definitely Nepal Orange. This color only available in model year 74-75. Those 2 years they gave you all colorful choices. I don't know why they changed the whole color scheme into all dull colors.

I have to say this is the first Nepal Orange Scirocco in Thailand. After that, my 2 friends with another 2 roccos painted theirs orange as well. :D

This car is LS trim so it came with leatherette seats, no tartan fabric. Rear seats still original and in good shape.

Classic watercooled VWs scene here is not big. Nobody cared about this little car until recently probably because Volkswagen has never been Thai's choice of cars. Most of them were all neglected. However, there are some really good restored within my circle of friends as you can see here.

The Ceylon Beige Swallowtail is mine. It's the owner of BBS RAs I put on the rocco. I have to give it back soon... :hugegrin:

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Fantastic looking car.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
shavhead

Post by shavhead »

What a gorgeous-looking car!!

marksg60
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by marksg60 »

AWESOME ,Welcome.

[OO==o==OO]

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

hi neil, glad you got on here - those 7 x 15 RA's suit the car very nicely, i've got a full set of those destined for a mk2 so so it's nice to know its an option for me when my car gets on the road and i feel like a bit of a wheelswap around the fleet.

some lovely looking golfs over there too!

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark83

Post by mark83 »

stunning !!!!

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
MCBailey

Post by MCBailey »

thaidub wrote: Thank you very much for kind words.
If you are looking for TV lights, you can check out the vw classic parts website. http://www.vw-classicparts.de/ They still carry those at 50 euro each. I hope VW expands their classic parts section bringing back all those obsolete parts. It'd make restoring much more fun.

I'm still not sure which style I want this to be. All stock or with some twist. The seats are nice and comfy but I still linger to have the original seats. Are they hard to find in the UK? I have someone who can help me with shipping but I have to find them first.
It is actually also the grill I would need for the TV lights sadly! Thanks for the link however I needed some boot struts and noticed they are stocking them there so will have to order some!

I'm wondering what sort of seats it was that you wanted, there was the ones with built in head-rests and then the ones that were seperate. The ones without the head-rests built in I think are similar to the ones found in alot of mk1 golfs so shouldn't be hard to find some (and trim them if necessary after)? The ones with the built in headrests I think are a lot rarer to come across though.