1986 Scirocco GT Nut & Bolt Restore OEM spec

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Mr Funk

Re: 1986 Scirocco GT

Post by Mr Funk »

I'm having a hard time visualising where that rust is. Short term I'd grind it back and coat it until you can get a plate in. By the looks of things it's covered by the light so no-one will see it.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

That looks like it's probably just surface rust and you've caught it at the right time. Get a wire brush attachment on a grinder and buff it back to bare metal, then apply a decent rust-proofer and re-paint it. Assuming it's hidden from view it'll just need a good coverage with primer and paint but won't need to look perfect.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

MrFunk its behind the black rear reg surround and under the rear boot lid seal and light housing, it has some holes in it, so might need to weld em over or patch it... NOT my strong point so will need help !!

James

scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

Been Cleaning up today work space was getting out of hand and needed to crack on with cleaning the arches etc...

Still need to get it cleaner but getting there now, think im going to leave the underneath as it is for now its going to be a pain in the ass to remove all old waxoly off whilst on axle stands.. So will look at that another time..

Next job is exhaust off and refurb that..

James

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Amazing mate. True dedication to the cause. :beers:

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

I'm sure I've asked this before but which modern tyre is most like the originals ? My current size is 185 60 14..

Took my fuel tank to a radiator repairers quoted £80 just need to find the cash..

Got new fuel hoses and paint from paints4u today to repair that boot lid and all the marks inside the boot, plus new decals for the boot area...

James

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Back in the day VW and Pirelli were in bed together, your car was probably fitted with P6's at the factory. Evolution of that is a P6000.

Fitted 2 news ones on my Scala a couple of weeks ago, £115 all in.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

It has the original rear ones on so thanks for that will order some when I'm back in work, hence all the time to work on the car..

Just a bit of info on the car:

1986 Volkswagen Scirocco GT 1.6 Auto
100% Original (although not sure on wheels)
Still has paint code sticker in boot
Still has all original hella lights
Still has all original VW Windows with car reg etched in them
Interior is like new, no rips no tears, carpet is like new
2 Previous Owners
65,232 miles

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Those wheels aren't standard spec and I don't think they were a VW option either - I'm only aware of them as an Audi wheel originally.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

your car was probably fitted with P6's at the factory

My '86 model year GT still had the original tyres on when I bought it - these were Pirelli P6.

P6000 is the latest incarnation. P6's are also available, but are a completely different tyre to the originals and have a tread pattern that probably won't look 'right'.

The steel 16 hole wheel, part no.321 601 025H were original standard fitment to the GT from '86 onwards.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

scratchfree wrote:It has the original rear ones on so thanks for that will order some when I'm back in work, hence all the time to work on the car..

Just a bit of info on the car:

1986 Volkswagen Scirocco GT 1.6 Auto
100% Original (although not sure on wheels)
Still has paint code sticker in boot
Still has all original hella lights
Still has all original VW Windows with car reg etched in them
Interior is like new, no rips no tears, carpet is like new
2 Previous Owners
65,232 miles
Are You really using the original tyres? Do you mean the actual 20+ yr old tyres?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

Ha no I was saying you must be right about them having P6 on as that's whats on the rear, I'm looking to replace all 4 as the rears are old and cracking..

James

scratchfree

Post by scratchfree »

Grrrr

Hate things like this, really not my forte and have no links to welders, anything involving cleaning and spanners im fine...

James

scratchfree

Re: 1986 Scirocco GT Nut & Bolt Restore OEM spec

Post by scratchfree »

Another bad day in the office... Sometimes I think just bolt it all back on and leave it, but I just cant...

Think I will get it all back on and get some professional help for the arches next spring when i get some more funds...

James

ghost123uk

Re: 1986 Scirocco GT Nut & Bolt Restore OEM spec

Post by ghost123uk »

scratchfree wrote:Another bad day in the office... Sometimes I think just bolt it all back on and leave it, but I just cant...

Think I will get it all back on and get some professional help for the arches next spring when i get some more funds...
Still watching your posts and progress James, excellent stuff mate :good:

That tin worm doesn't look too bad at all. A decent bodyshop would find that fairly routine compared to some !
If your not going to get it seen to just yet (and it doesn't look urgent) I would put some Vactan rust stopper on it ( LINK HERE (or at least some Kurust = next best thing). Don't be tempted to put it on thick, thin coats = better. Oh, and Vactan goes "off" in it's bottle in around 6 months :shock: . And decant some into a jam jar lid or similar, NEVER dip your brush into the bottle ;) Try to get it as dry as possible before painting it on (careful use of a heat gun or even a hairdryer) and it will likely not get much worse before Spring. Anyway imho, getting repairs like that done when the weather is warm and dry is much preferable.

Loving what your doing to the car :good: (and noticed the thread title change :good: )

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper