Rebuild or replace engine...?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Funky Diver
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rebuild or replace engine...?

Post by Funky Diver »

Or just get a different VW rocker cover without the daft gauze? Just a thought :P

christhemann

Post by christhemann »

Ahh don't belieeeeeeeeeeeve it!!
:ire:

Got the rocker cover welded after removing and cleaning gauze, was out in the pouring rain just earlier trying to put the sump back on...
Lo and behold the 2 awkward bolts nearest the gearbox (slightly recessed and really hard to get at), one of them has stripped the thread!
Any other place and i'd say maybe a helicoil or something could fix it, but what the hell now?

Getting close to pushing car off a cliff. Know of any?

1989 Helios Blue Scala
bensspares

Post by bensspares »

Bugger, they can be tricky, is it leaking oil from them then ??? you may well get away with it, i did as i lost my wrag and left it missing, also some of the cars i bought over the years also had "a bolt missing" without any leaks.

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!
christhemann

Post by christhemann »

Cheers Ben.
No not leaking yet but havn't got that far to starting it yet, it's not got oil in it.
Was thinking I might have to take sump off and get thread sorted out...

Any way to fix it properly??
I suppose I could cover it in chemical metal or JB weld and then "glue" it in??

1989 Helios Blue Scala
bensspares

Post by bensspares »

you may be able to rethread it with the bolt with the sump removed,,jb welt would cure it lol, but you would deeply regret that if the sump ever needed to come off again..maybe try it with oil and see if it leaks, it may not, before removing the sump "again" ....

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!
christhemann

Post by christhemann »

Managed to fix thread with a longer bolt and a spring washer, as mentioned in my other post.
The advice from the guy who fixed it was, always use a 1/4 inch socket and wobble extension for these sump bolts!
I used a 3/8 and it probably made things a lot harder.
(Add socket set to next year xmas list).

As the situation stands the car is running again just about with new oil+filter and another oil pump but it's pretty unnerving.
I ran some cheap oil through it for a day before taking sump off to fix damaged thread.
Rocker cover has been flushed out after removing gauze and welding it back it!
But i'm still not sure about oil pressure readings...

At cold it's about 60psi idle and 80psi at 3000rpm.
When really hot and warmed up until fan cuts in, it gets to about 40psi at 3000rpm and 9-10psi at idle!
This is still being measured at the head though, and i'm told it should be moved to the oil filter housing (my gauge sender is too big to fix there I think).

I think there's gonna be a MK2 Scala up for sale pretty soon.
Cheers,
Chris

1989 Helios Blue Scala