Mk2 GT2, 2nd attempt at Scirocco ownership

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
83mars
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 GT2, 2nd attempt at Scirocco ownership

Post by 83mars »

:dance:
things are looking groovy again man, fair play. hopefully you'll have more luck with the new carb.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Well thanks, since your post the car has been reliable. Tried restricting the fuel return to increase fuel pressure which has helped at higher speeds/opening second butterfly but I still think there can be more done in this area, maybe even just needs a bit more tuning or might be worth fitting a new fuel pump. Don't think the Carb heater is working either.

The only concern I'm having right now is what I think is a noisy water pump, probably the bearings. So I'm keeping an eye on it and aim to fit a new one once I get the last 5 or so weeks of Uni out of the way. I want to do the timing belt while I'm at it.

What I have done is refurbish the interior at home in-between writing my final assignment (now finished thank flip). OMR :good: had some spare bolster foam and material. The foam was actually from the wrong side but I made do with the following repair and swapped all the good base foams and material to the drivers side. Did a whole lot of scrubbing/sponge cleaning...

Also made the best out of other interior for the rear from previous car replacing nasty foam, I used cable ties instead of the wire c-staples for all of these repairs..

Nasty foam that had an oily spill..
Small cable ties do the job..
Bit faded couple of burns but hardly noticable..

Also swapped the material on the rear parcel shelf to make the best of the two I had..

Next I need to sort the electric windows make them operate better then I can fit membranes,cards, fit stereo system/speakers..

Then I'll fit the interior along with some serious cleaning :yup:

Engine bay is starting to improve..

Trip to OMR's..

When the jail sentence of Uni finishes in September (cannot wait :good: ) things should move a bit quicker, loads to do before winter.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Well I've now got only three weeks left of Uni but have managed to gradually get some stuff done..

Tucked away electric window switches as the electric windows are sticking. Swapped in manual winders for now and fitted membrane..
Standard cards no component speakers for now..
Fitted the £2 Halfords aerial which needed a bit of trimming round it's rubber base but I think looks ok, involved taking the entire arch trim out which had a bunch of rusty bolts that needed a bit of Dremel action to create a slot for a flat screwdriver. Anyway inner wing extremely dirty with gritty road dirt but no real rust.
Wiring was sorted involving removing console to get in with a soldering iron and I had to basically solder and shrink rap the ISO cables straight to the loom as there were no original ISO connectors.
So I now have the four speakers working two Alpines at the front and some Philips at the back that came with the car. Sound ok but would still like to go with components and a sub at the back one day. Cars looking pretty tidy inside now :good: still bits of cowling to go under steering wheel and shelving. Thats a Mk2 Golf GTI steering wheel although I still want an original Scirocco one.

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Looking good mate, soon be pushing Neil and Colin for top honours.
I should have a spare wheel kicking about somewhere ???????
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Well I'm finished Uni and am now a qualified Registered Mental health Nurse and ironically feeling a bit mentally drained with the whole lengthy process. I am now just happy to work away in my care-work job till I find a more permanent position.

So I had a go at removing the paint on these snowflakes and failed miserably with the new EU restricted rubbish stripper, going to get the better Pirelli tyres I have on them for winter once painted up..

However with some investigating into what I thought was a water pump bearing noise I discovered that my timing belt really needs to be replaced with a new tensioner. Unfortunately I don't have funds or a good 2 day window to get this done right now. You can see where the rattling belt when it gets hot is actually worn..

Fitted another fuel pump off my old Scirocco that looked better in quality and it seems to have improved fuel pressure certainly seems to be getting more fuel to the carb. I think more restriction on the return that has been discussed on other threads will help also.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Congratulations on passing your course, well done mate.
Car is coming along nicely but get the cambelt and tensioner sorted ASAP.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
bengould

Post by bengould »

Changing a cam belt should only take a few hours at most. I'm fairly near you if you want a hand one day. Unfortunately I'm only really free this Friday. Unless you fancy an early start before knockhill?
Other than that weekends are generally out but can quite easily sort a day off in the week.
Ben

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi Duncan

A bit worrying for me and my usual Scirocco / Golf (and Audi) garage as they where supposed to have replaced that belt and tensioner on your car less that 10,000 miles ago (as of sale date) :shock: (I think the receipt will be with all the "random" paperwork we passed on with the car)

Mind you, since we moved we have found a very traditional classic car garage near us, so unlikely to use the "other" one as it is now 20+ miles away.

Glad to see it is coming on well for you :)

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

A few things have happened with the car, timing belt was changed a good few weeks back now but still seems to be noisy(sounds like a city taxi) anyway I'm sure there will be some sort of cowl/cover rubbing.

Also I had on going starting issues from cold and hesitancy at higher revs. This after changing carb base,removing vapour trap/swirl pot, adding a welding tip to restrict the fuel return from the carb was tracked to the fuel filter that I had modified on the end of the pick up which I think was restricting flow from the tank. Still doesn't like cold start but could do with sorting carb heater/replace at base of carb (the one that comes of the pierburg).

Anyway a few mobile pics as usual..

Silver Rocco mini meet/clinic..
Swapped cheap carb flange for Meyle part..
Removed swirl pot/fuel vapour trap replaced with Y piece..
Better Pirreli tyres on these original steels,must get them fitted, cleaned up ready to get a quick diy paint job..

Pulled out instrument cluster, hate this job! to change faulty lcd clock..
Sorted but still the speedo needle judders at low speed after lubrication :ire: (fine above 30)..

Bought the proper G11 type coolant, which will be replaced after an overhaul/some replacement of parts. Importantly I must flush out all the old red coolant.

Finally went for job interview up north near Glencoe involving a road trip that never disappoints..

Had travelled up the night before near Fort William woke up to this view..
On the road back..
True grit or salt..
Amazing views..

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Love those pictures. :ok:

Pretty car in a beautiful place.

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming the other way?

See my build thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10466&start=75
eefy

Post by eefy »

My speedo needle does the same mate, just adds to the charm :)

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Great pictures. I have driven that road in winter, awesome sights.

Car is looking good mate.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
DT1

Post by DT1 »

MacColl wrote:Sorted but still the speedo needle judders at low speed after lubrication :ire: (fine above 30)..
How much oil did you pour down the cable? I spent a good 10 minutes just getting oil into mine.

Haven't been up that way for ages, really should get out and about a bit more.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

car looks great, stunning landscape.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

^thanks

Ok since November..

Fuel pipes made from copper pipe..

Winter steel paint up..

Front down pipe nightmare with broken c-clips! used VW ones with softer gauze ring, heat shield made with aluminium waffle stuff..

Steering rack bellows replaced..

Relatively new suspension from previous Rocco painted up and fitted..

Bit of a saga with rear end suspension bolts..

Front end drive shaft cv joint gators, wishbones,bushes changed with lower strut brace..

Carb rubber base, gasket changed (again!) with a lick of paint on the cam cover with rubber gasket/shoulder less studs..

New rad, cowl painted..

Changed to small spline for earlier steering wheel Needed washer crimp ring thing from VW..

Rear end badges changed with better spoiler..

Car was cleaned once..

Other random pics..
Back in April..

The car has also had two timing belt changes which seemed to be rubbing and causing a noise, went on for six months driving me insane. There was debate about the tension, rubbing cowling etc etc but tracked down to an out of shape lower pulley rubbing.

Plans: many more jobs like cracked lights/indicators for replacement, fuel filler neck/inner arch weld at bracket, spare rear end/beam/anti roll bar with all new brakes to be refurbed and better rear exhaust. Ultimately will be full arch kit off re-sprayed (paint is a mess) and then some alloys.

This car remains my daily and will not beat me like the last one did.
Last edited by MacColl on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.