Paul's 89 Mk2 GT2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
DT1
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Paul's 89 Mk2 GT2

Post by DT1 »

Fair amount of work there.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Good work :good:

I'm very close to removing my beam to replace with a refurbished one.

Any problems getting the beam off? Your mounting points look potentially good structurally but hard to tell from pictures.

I didn't bother with the back plates as they command silly prices but if you need them try VW heritage or these places..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK1-GTI- ... 3f121c25bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat= ... SUSPENSION" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Thanks for that.

I had no real problems taking the beam off or the front suspension. I was quite surprised how easy the bolts came came off given the earlier pictures of the mounts. I think the previous owner put F&R ARB's on and uprated springs so I guess they have only been on maybe 12-14 years or so and it's been off the road for about 6 of those. They were on pretty tight mind you and pretty rusty, but I just took my time and used lots of penetrating fluid. I think the car mounting points are in reasonable shape but might need some tidying up on the seams just to prevent things getting worse.

Annoyingly what I can't get off at the moment are the rear struts for which I just can't seem to loosen the top nuts. Nuts that are clean, have never been in the open and I would not have thought needed to be tight. How do you hold the strut tight enough to undo the top nuts :-(. I tried some mole grips on the top of the strut but they just chewed up the little notched bit. I'm now wondering if I can get to the nut under the mount if I get some spring compressors. If anyone has any bright ideas I'd really appreciate them. I'm replacing the struts so they can be sacrificed.

I did wonder about if it was worth it to replace the back plates but given the car will have little use other than the odd blast and some track days, I'm not sure I'll bother. Thanks for the link though.

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming the other way?

See my build thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10466&start=75
pajsh

Post by pajsh »

OK, a good day on Sunday with most of the exterior items now stripped.

I could start to rebuild things and bolt new stuff back on, but I really need to give everything a clean while I can get to it and get some of the welding done. Also I'm still researching a lot of the parts and trying to decide what to paint all the running gear with.

Stripped the rear beam of the brackets, brake pipes and back plates. All came away pretty tidy but one master cylinder was seized. The drums, axles, back plates and spring I'll keep but bearings, pads and brake pipes will all be new.

Unfortunately the bracket under to D/S rear wheel arch for the fuel filler has rusted the inside of the wheel arch :-(

Tank could be re-used if I get it cleaned out but it needs some welding on the seam so might be better to ditch it.

Filler neck is in good shape though so might be for sale soon if I don't keep the tank. I gave it a good old wire brush.

Rear struts came off finally with some mole grips on the top and a spanner. Seems no one could offer any better ideas :dunno: Wasn't easy though.

Finally I cracked the crank pinion on the ABF and took the flywheel off ready to mount the engine on the stand. Amazing the difference in size, weight and construction between the old 8v and the ABF. I hope it's going to be man enough. Can't see I can get it lightened though :shock:

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Having built a Locost 7 & I'm more than used to the highs and lows of project cars.

This weekend was a low and one of those days when you feel like calling the local scrap man round and telling him to take it away!!

I find the best way round this is to work on something simple but productive instead and also step back from the project and out of the woods for a bit.

My electrolysis cleaning has been going well

But not so well the recovery of the rear beam mounting bolts :( Got a bit to careless with the grinder

It was the prospect of where to start with cleaning up this lot was a bit depressing

So instead I continued stripping out the carpets only to find that in the past some clown has jacked up the car under the floor support and bent it and the floor on both sides :crying: Hopefully not an MOT failure but I might have to bend it back somehow. :scratch:

Spot the dog. She's such a loyal sweetie, my building buddy

So went back to stripping the interior and tidying up some redundant wiring.

Finally spent the evening trawling through websites to find the best prices for all the new bits I need so that gave me a bit more focus.

Next Saturday I'm going to start on that cleaning. :chill:

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Cleaning is a bit like sanding paintwork in that it's tedious but essential. I really wanted to go and buy some new shiny bits but first I need to check the old girl is worth spending my hard earned on.

So I took advantage of the cracking weather for a bit of cleaning and armed with some degreaser, a pressure washer and a range of brushes and sponges I got to work.Whilst not perfect and totally complete I'm pleased with the results. At least I can see where the rust is and it's mostly superficial stuff that can be treated.

Also cleaned up the 'box so there is no crap around for the re-furb

Got under with a wire brush to check out the rear mounts and happy to say they look pretty sound. Need a bit of Kurerust and TLC but generally solid enough.

Also some rust under the rear seam which again is solid but will need treating.

Cleaned up the existing ARB's (seen here still dirty) which are Eibach and well worth keeping. There in pretty good condition but with some rust spots so I may have to re-paint them.

Sadly the rear bushes will need replacing.

Finished off cutting the rot in the rear arches ready for welding.

And then gave the old girl a lovely bath and chammy.

Next step is out with the angry grinder and wire wheel to tidy up the rusty areas and treat with kurerust.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

[quote="pajsh"]Having built a Locost 7 & I'm more than used to the highs and lows of project cars.

This weekend was a low and one of those days when you feel like calling the local scrap man round and telling him to take it away!!

I find the best way round this is to work on something simple but productive instead and also step back from the project and out of the woods for a bit.

My electrolysis cleaning has been going well

How's this work then and what do the parts look like afterwards? Is the basin full of acid or something?

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
pajsh

Post by pajsh »

It works very well and removes only rust rather than good material. Very little effort needed.

You can Google "Cleaning by electrolysis" and there is lots of information but see here for an explanation

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php.

The power comes via an old 12v computer PSU and I have the second bath powered using an old 12v battery charger. The battery charger works really well as it has an ammeter on it and you can see if you have a good connection or not. With the computer PSU the only way of telling is when you can see plenty of bubbles (hydrogen & oxygen).

The solution is made from soda crystals (washing soda0 that Tesco sell in 1kg bags for around 90p. I bought 2 bags (there were only 3 on the shelf) and I still have a full one left. Other than getting dirty the solution does not need changing and is pretty safe.

Most important points seem to be not using stainless anodes or a galvanised bath. A piece of Re-bar for an anode and washing bowls work for me.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Not done much this last month due to the crap weather. I'm busy cleaning up bits but rapidly reaching the point where I need to clean up under the car and tackle the rear beam. I'm also about to spend a lot of cash on new parts including suspension and drive train so I'm searching around and trying to make sure I get the best VFM.

But.....

I had the hubs knocked out by a local garage and this enabled me to clean up the carriers.

Electrolysis cleaned most of the rust off and loosened up the back plate bolts but I could not get a decent grip on them. So I filed them down to get a decent flat each side and got the molies on em.

Cleaned and primed ready for top coat and new bearings

Also cleaned up rear ARB brackets and clips. The clips were pretty crappy so I was pleased how the came out. Spring band clamps are next.

Before:

After:

Off next week so hoping for some good weather to get underneath and treat the rusty bits plus tackle the rear beam. Then I can start buying and bolting up.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Just about to drop off the bottom of the forum page so thought I'd post some progress.

Mostly revolved around sorting the rear beam as things are starting to go back together.

Plus a few bits painted and ready to go back on

This weekend I'm hoping to get some brake bits for the rear drums and start fitting the rear beam out. Then it's on with the fuel tank and sourcing some coilovers and suspension bushes.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Excellent work there fella

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Thanks Funk.

Slow going I'm afraid but targeting her back on the road for her 25th birthday in June 2014.

I know that seems a long way off but my plan is to do the exterior this "summer", engine and g/box strip and re-build over winter, engine drop in next year and then interior to finish.

Still got you in mind for ideas when I come to the interior :groove: .

I'm hoping to make Tatton this weekend (without the car of course) and maybe Cosford after to get to know some faces and maybe ask some questions.

ATB

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Unfortunately Tatton NWVW got sacrificed for some more progress, basically on cleaning and painting parts.

Before

After

Also cleaned up the engine mounts

Before

After (ready for some Black Hammerite smooth)

And cleaned the rear of the car, including treating the mounts with Kurust. They seem pretty sound so I'm happy to crack on with the big spend.

Finally cleaned up the brake transfer gizmo including dismantling the shift lever.

Unfortunately the gear lever boot is knackered. Really hope I can get a replacement :(

Next job is to buy some bits to re-assemble the rear beam, fix the new fuel tank and then the rear beam.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You could still get the gear shift boot from VW a couple of years ago, if not heres one on ebay, I thought mine was cheaper from VW than this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK1-GTI- ... 51a076961c

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Excellent.

Really appreciate that thanks.

Not a kings ransom even with the postage.