bonnet glue?

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
gayle
fill in the right answer: 10

bonnet glue?

Post by gayle »

Lost the rag today with my crumbly sound deadening under the bonnet and scraped it all off.started getting the glue off with a heat gun but lifes just too short for that.what do you think the chances are of the glue melting when the engine gets hot and dripping over the engine?also,do i really need to re-insulate it or can i leave it as it is?dont care what it looks like,just dont want a gluey fanbelt

boycott shampoo.demand real poo.
plastermaster

Re: bonnet glue?

Post by plastermaster »

I ran my Storm this summer with just glue remaining (scraped sound deadening off in spring),not had any
problem at all.
Not sure about replacing sound deadening as im just in the process of repainting underside of bonnet.

1984 Cosmos Blue Storm
Neillyboy

Post by Neillyboy »

Hi Gayle
The glue is impact adhesive. It's going nowhere unless you use a solvent and a plastic scraper. It shouldn't do any harm without it but check your bonnet doesn't heat up too much. I'd doubt it with our climate and as for sound deadening you wouldn't know the difference. It's no longer available from Classic Parts so a replacement will be hard to find. :ire:

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Hi gayle have a look through this thread by the one and only Cpt Custom.

http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... 19&t=10468

About 1/4 way down you will see a bottle of stuff to desolve the glue.
Follow the Cpt's instructions and you can't go wrong.
I also used this when I removed my black side panels on my car.
I got mine from Screwfix, costs about £5/£6 can't remember exactly.
Another helpful thread. http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... ion#p64878
Will I add it on to "TO DO" list for Sunday. :chortle: :chortle:
We could have a competition to see who can clean a panel the quickest. :hugegrin: :hugegrin:
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
gayle

Post by gayle »

Fab.

Sandy,if you want to scrape the glue off then feel free!read cptcustoms thread and he's done an amazing job but as my cars never going to win any competitions,the glue can just stay there as long as its not going to drip off.

Frosts automotive sell sheets of sound deadening but i cant see itl make that much difference,i'll just turn the stereo up louder.

Thanks for all your replies.now to go break something else....

Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Cpt Custom »

I know you've said you're not bothered about replacing it, but a point to bear in mind for anyone else thinking of removing their crumbly old soundproofing ... it seems those replacement kits it are not available now. :crying:

Just glad I got mine when I did.

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
gayle

Post by gayle »

If i did decide to replace it,think i'd buy the sheet of stuff from frosts.i cant justify the price of the other one when youl never see it on my car anyways.then i can spend the rest of the money on shoes....i am female after all :hugegrin: