Keep the 4 branch or go standard?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmo
fill in the right answer: 10

Keep the 4 branch or go standard?

Post by timmo »

Hello
So, I have a shiny four branch stainless manifold on my rocco. Trouble is that it touches the steering rack gator, and it needs a new mid section to make it line up. In addition to this I hear that you should upgrade the engine mounts to reduce the risk of the manifold cracking.
Having the manifold reshaped, plus engine mounts, exhaust etc etc sounds expensive and time consuming.
Anybody think it's really worth while on limited time and a limited budget?
It does sound rather nice right now in it's bodged form though!

Edit: oops, meant to put this in the exhaust section, sorry!

1987 GTX Smirocco

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Keep the 4 branch or go standard?

Post by mr.brown »

Moved for you :yup:

Regarding your exhaust question it sounds as if the 4 branch you have isn't all that well made so you may be better off selling it. I suppose it also depends on how much the replacement standard parts are going to cost you.

timmo

Post by timmo »

Thank you mr.brown!
Yes I must admit it does seem that way. Shame, it looks well put together, but perhaps the jig they used to form it isn't quite suitable for the rocco. Perhaps its just mine?! lol
Any suggestions for an alternative? I guess the only affordable option is the OEM cast iron-type manifold eh?

1987 GTX Smirocco

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

What make of manifold is it out of interst? and is it for a 8 or 16v?
An uprated rear engine mount is only £30 , and you can get those flexible exhaust sections which would stop it cracking.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
timmo

Post by timmo »

I believe it is a "Hottuning" one (presumably a standard thing only with a label), like that sold - or was sold at least- on ebay. It seemed expensive at the time!
A friend of mine has said he might be able to reshape the tubing so it doesn't touch the steering rack gator. Maybe there is some hope after all.
I'll look at that rear mount and flexi bit too!
Cheers :)

1987 GTX Smirocco

ChrisPears

Post by ChrisPears »

My supersprint manifold just touches the boot, or very almost does. But its a "race" manifold, so the pipes are a bit wider than other ones, so that might be a factor.

timmo

Post by timmo »

Interesting, do you think it might be a problem? I wonder what are the chances of it causing a fire are? I ran mine only once for a long-ish drive and there was a distinct smell of warm rubber by the end! :s

1987 GTX Smirocco

ChrisPears

Post by ChrisPears »

Very much doubt it would start a fire. Certainly not had any fire related incidents yet (touch wood), and its got plenty hot in the past.
I guess the UJ connecting the rack and column could become a concern over time.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I've got a full custom built stainless steel system and it's fine. Doesn't touch anything.

Surely if the pipes are wider whoever built it would ate that into consideration and compensate?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
timmo

Post by timmo »

Ok, I feel a bit dim now. Having taken the whole thing to bits and removed some rather over zealous heat wrap it now seems fine! Just several turns too many of wrap and it stuck out enough to touch things. All sorted :)
Bodged the mid section together after much effort and sent the car out for the first MOT in two years. Passed with no advisories! All that work has fiiiiinally paid off it seems :D
Happy days!
Thanks for your help everyone.
Now to find someone to manufacture a stainless mid section for me. Any suggestions for south/west Devon?

1987 GTX Smirocco

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

As long as its sorted, that's the main thing

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.