Getting there.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
seanr68
fill in the right answer: 10

Getting there.

Post by seanr68 »

Well the TSR lump i bought off MikeH is coming along well now.
Hoping to have it in the rocco withing the next few weeks. Just thought i'd add a couple of pics, note the larvely circa 1989 scat vernier cam pulley. Well chuffed with that purchase.
Engines had a total stripdown, check over at Stanwood engineers in Bawtry and lots of tlc.
When its in i'm going to book it in at stealth for a proper set up.
I'm like a kid with a new toy. :hehe:

wasted

Re: Getting there.

Post by wasted »

Very nice too! Any plans for further mods?

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Well i've got a stainless 4 branch and a 2.5" Jetex system to compliment it.
However, i'd really like to get it on ITB's and Megasquirt. But, money isn't a forthcoming as it used to be at the moment, so thats on the backburner for a while.
I will do it though. Always fancied dabbling in the dark arts of Ms3 tuning. :good:

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I think Megasquirt would get you 10% more power, based on my experience with the track car, on a slightly higher spec engine (Pack D head and 285 cam). You'd also get better driveability and a wider power band, assuming it's all mapped properly.

I think ITBs on a fast road 8v are not worth the bother - clearance issues, heat soak and various other problems. Also, the power band of the 270-ish cam that's in there doesn't really need the extra top end breathing that ITBs can provide. Your power band will run out at about 6.5k rpm, tops - it'll probably pull to 7k, but actually you're better off changing up before then.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Tbh Mike, i wouldn't mind forgoing the ITB's if theres another way round it. All i really want is mappable fueling and ignition. Could i use Megasquirt on it with G60 injectors or is it a lot of messing around?
Should i just stick with K-Jet and go see Vince down at Stealth?

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I think you'll get better results on megasquirt, or another type of standalone management. My track car was a Kjet car converted to megasquirt. The rough parts list I have is:

- Injectors from a volvo 5 cyl turbo (std bosch injector type) G60 or PB ones would be fine too.
- Fuel rail from an ABK engine code Audi A4 (2.0 8v) with integral fuel pressure regulator (4 bar in this case)
- ABF coolant temp sender
- Audi 80 throttle body with throttle position sensor (my TPS was broken and I found one on the same volvo that supplied the injectors to fit, with a custom bracket).
- Air intake temp sender from a random BMW
- ABF intake boot, added to the standard rocco intake pipe
- Cone filter
- PB injector seats in the head.
- Custom throttle bracket
- Mk2 golf throttle cable (different end)

Most of the bits came from scrapyards, ebay, or were bits I had hanging around anyway. I think I paid about £400 for the ECU and loom. The biggish costs were paying someone to map it (you could do it yourself but I was in a hurry to make it to a 'Ring trip) buying a gas soldering iron, and lots of connectors, heat shrink, fuses, a couple of relays, and a little fuse box from halfords.

There's probably £100 of sundry bits inc electrical connectors and cable, £50 on scrapyard bits, and many hours spent wiring it all up, using bits of the existing loom, the 'standard' megasquirt loom from RS Autosport, and the wiring plugs chopped off with the various bits from the scrappy, and a few more that happened to fall into my pocket while I was in there. If you have a spare old wiring loom, you might be able to get bits off of that, but a lot of the 20-25 year old VW looms will be getting a bit brittle, so there some advantage in grabbing some newer bits while you're in the scrappy.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Cheers Mike, that's exactly the info I needed. Time to start collecting parts I think. :hugegrin:

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

What did you do regards ignition? 36 tooth crank wheel with sensor and the Ford edis coil pack thingy? Or did you keep standard ignition?
I'm going to have a good look on here and cgti to see how others have done it. I think I'll go your route for fueling.